Speaking of driver efficiency... replacing speaker on Peavey 18" sub?

• Members

We have a Peavey PV118 sub that has a pretty pathetic output level.  Is there an affordable speaker we could put in it that would be more efficient and give us noticeably increased volume out of it?

If it matters, we are driving it with either a Crown XLS802 or a QSC GX7.  

• Members

Cabinets are designed around specific speaker criteria. Essentially, they are designed while knowing exactly which speaker (with its specific parameters) is going to be used in the cabinet. Certainly, you can look for other speakers with similar TS parameters, but it is usually unlikely you can replace a speaker in a cabinet with a different model of speaker and find better performance. The best route is to replace the cabinet.

• Members

While what you say is true, Axis, there are many of us that have improved a cab by upgrading the driver. It's not something I do often but it can work, but the PV 118 is not a great cab to begin with, so I agree, replace it with something better.  I decided years ago to get the right tool for the job in the first place. 

• Members

guitarman3001 wrote:

We have a Peavey PV118 sub that has a pretty pathetic output level.  Is there an affordable speaker we could put in it that would be more efficient and give us noticeably increased volume out of it?

If it matters, we are driving it with either a Crown XLS802 or a QSC GX7.  

here's a pretty good deal.   http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-420   You could run the T/S parameters and see how it would work in the Peavey box.

• Members

I dont see improvement with the Celestion 18" driver.

The Peavy cab is 6.7 cubic ft.

The Celestion is recommended for a 10 cubic ft cabinet

Also, The Peavey box is MDF.  MDF is crap for pro subs.

Truely consider leaving the box and speaker as is and selling off the Peaveys as others have

recommended.

• Members

guitarman3001 wrote:

We have a Peavey PV118 sub that has a pretty pathetic output level.

Why not just get a second? It's kinda silly to expect one of those to do much. OTOH I've run a pair and they were "OK". Not great but usable.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

guitarman3001 wrote:

We have a Peavey PV118 sub that has a pretty pathetic output level.

Why not just get a second? It's kinda silly to expect one of those to do much. OTOH I've run a pair and they were "OK". Not great but usable.

We already have a second sub.  It's a Yamaha Club IV.  It's not great but it does blow the Peavey away.  I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to the Peavey to get it to sound more or less comparable to the Yamaha.  

The answers on this thread confirm what I had figured but it's not really a huge deal.  Running both the Peavey and the Yamaha together give us pretty much what we need for the rooms we play but it would have been nice to find a way for the Peavey to keep up with the Yamaha.  If we can't, it's not a big deal.  When the time comes that we need more than what we're getting with the Peavey and Yamaha combined, we'll probably just replace both subs with more substantial (and matching) powered subs.  

BTW, I would not get a second one of those Peavey subs.  They are not very good.  

Archived