I have heard about speakers catching on fire

• Members

In general you will find this happen after an amplifier failure/problem that causes DC across the voice coil. The exact amount will depend on a lot of factors. But essentially what happens is that there is excessive heating allowing for a build of volitle gasses... when the voice coil opens, there is a small spark. If all of the conditions are correct, this small spark will contain enough engery to ignite the gases... and again, if all of the conditions are correct, there will be enough gases to ignite the cone.

I have never seen this occur with AC. IME the ignition path (spark-gases-cone) is broken due to the air-flow induced by the cone motion.

There are test methods to determine the points at which this could occur (I tech'ed on the research for EIA-636).

• Members

I was once assisting on a session where the engineer got drunk and passed out at the console with the music looping and the speakers (Adam S3A's) all the way up. The clip lights were just on steady - no blinking.

After a little bit, the ribbon tweeters started sparking and smoking, which is when I woke him up.

-Dan.

• Members

Never happened with pro speakers, but when I was around 16, I got a new album for Christmas and decided to give it a listen in my room.  The speakers were old woodgrain stereo speakers that were hand-me-downs.  As I'm listening to the music, I start to smell something burning.  I look over to the speakers, and one is glowing orange.  All of sudden a ring appears as the cloth grill starts melting away, then a flame pop's up.  Panicing, I turned off the stereo and grabbed a pillow to beat the fire out.  Spent the rest of the day cleaning the black soot off of everything in my room, and mourning the loss of my favorite pillow.  I don't remember any more what the album was, but when I tell the story, I joke that it was Black Sabbath.

• Members

I can't say whether the cause was AC or DC but since Dc will take out a speaker almost instantly I'm guessing AC is more of a problem. I've seen it happen with speakers rated at very high power levels too. I remember testing very high power woofers where the magnet was over 300 degrees so I'm guessing the temp could be double down in the gap. Now if you freeze up the vc and coil there could be some very high temps reach the cone.

As you can guess manufacturers react quickly when the get such reports as liability can always come into play.

• Members

Mutha Goose wrote:

In general you will find this happen after an amplifier failure/problem that causes DC across the voice coil. The exact amount will depend on a lot of factors. But essentially what happens is that there is excessive heating allowing for a build of volitle gasses... when the voice coil opens, there is a small spark. If all of the conditions are correct, this small spark will contain enough engery to ignite the gases... and again, if all of the conditions are correct, there will be enough gases to ignite the cone.

I have never seen this occur with AC. IME the ignition path (spark-gases-cone) is broken due to the air-flow induced by the cone motion.

There are test methods to determine the points at which this could occur (I tech'ed on the research for EIA-636).

I wasn't thinking about over-powering the snot out of a speaker... LOL! I guess I was thinking about closed systems and what happens within the context of a properly designed system.

Archived