Wireless Mics: Channel vs Frequency

• Members

Hello. I want to pick up two Sennheiser EW 112 wireless systems.  When purchasing, they give you the choice of several channels such as A, B, G. However each system is suppose to have 1680 tunable frequencies.  Does it matter if I buy two A wireless systems as long asI tune them to two different frequencies? Not understanding the "channels". Thank you.

• Members

sadlytragic wrote:

Hello. I want to pick up two Sennheiser EW 112 wireless systems.  When purchasing, they give you the choice of several channels such as A, B, G. However each system is suppose to have 1680 tunable frequencies.  Does it matter if I buy two A wireless systems as long asI tune them to two different frequencies? Not understanding the "channels". Thank you.

What matters is that the available channels work in your geographic location.  That is mostly determined by what broadcast TV stations are in your area.  If you are in NYC or LA it can be very difficult to find frequencies and if you are on top of a mountain in North Dakota it will be easier.

So where are you?

• Members

You're basically correct, each band has a bunch of frequencies you could tune to. So A-band is low in the UHF range, G-band a bit higher, and B-band up near the top of the UHF band.

Confusing things a little further, each unit will have Banks and Channels, which are pre-coordinated frequencies. You should never just randomly pick frequencies or set everything say 1 MHz apart, because you may end up with weird intermodulation frequency problems.

If you really want to go nuts, download Sennheiser's frequency coordination software: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-support/services/sifm-software

Or go to Shure and download Wireless Workbench, which will also work with Sennheiser stuff.

• Members

Thank you for the help, really appreciate it! That makes a lot more sense now actually. Placed my order! What's awesome is that MusiciansFriend has 15% off a single item, I asked about it not working (turns out Sennheiser is excluded) and they gave me a 15% off ENTIRE ORDER coupon that did include Sennheiser. haha. Then I used BillMeLater and got 4% back. To top it all off...Sennheiser has a mail-in rebate for $50 per wireless unit, so another $100. Then again....I'm sure we all know how well mail-in rebates can go sometimes....All in all I saved around $330. :smiley-bounce022:

Archived