Opinions on sub snakes

• Members

I am at the point in my PA system evolution where my primary focus is to be as efficient as possible setting up and tearing down. I have a 16 channel system (mixwizad) and typically only use 13 or 14 channels. However, I am starting to think about implementing 2 sub snakes, both custom made by horizon. The first one I am definitely going to do, a 50 foot 3 xlr by 3 xlr returns to be used up front to drive 3 Eon 515xt monitors and the front vocals. The second one is where my question comes in. Initially i was thinking a 25 foot 6 xlr no returns to be used backine left (main snake is almost always backine right near drummer hi hats). This snake would handle guitar 2, acousic, a wireless mic, bass, and sometimes keys or an iPad. I am starting to think maybe a 6 channel fan snake with extensions on two of the channels is is a better option because I may not have to run any other cables to that side of the stage that way. Plus its less expensive. Any opinion/ experience on using fan snakes as sub snakes?

Thanks,

Jason

• Members

My first suggestion is to add an extra send and return to your 50' sub snake. A "spare" channel is a handy thing to have, and it gives you a built-in backup channel if something isn't working. A 4 x 4 snake is a lot more of a standard item, and I suspect that it should not be as expensive as a 3 x 3 custom.

Similar comments on the 25' snake. Eight channels makes it a stock item.

A stage box, in my experience, makes the setup go faster and is more likely to be right on the first try. YMMV, however. Mark C.

• Members

Sorry to all for the blank post from my phone.

twostone. I know you are are a SL user. How long a snake do you use? I have a 16.0.2 so the 12x4 would work for me as well but I've been debating the length. Just wondering.

• Members

I would consider an EWI snake but the smallest they make is an 8 x 0.  I would have to purchase parts to turn around 4 of the channels and pay somebody to do it.  By the time I do that It would be less expensive to get the one custom made.  I do use all EWI mic cables and have had only 1 failure in aprox 30 cables since 2006 or 2007.

• Members

dbMontana wrote:

Sorry to all for the blank post from my phone.

twostone. I know you are are a SL user. How long a snake do you use? I have a 16.0.2 so the 12x4 would work for me as well but I've been debating the length. Just wondering.

I use the 30ft  version

• Members

Sub snakes scale based on the size of the show as well as the application. In my inventory I have 6 x 6 channel, 1 x 12 channel, 2 x 8 ch , 3 x 20 ch, all 50', all fan to fan except a 12, 8 and 2x 100' x 20. I use fans as jumper snakes interfacing to brought in splits and consoles. For me, 50' can be short

• Members

I have 3 snakes and one of them is a Horizon I bought used off Craigslist.  24/4 100ft.

What a piece of crap snake..honestly

I am going to replace all the xlrs in the box, and it also has 1/4 inch sends not xlr and that really puts

a bigger suck factor in to the snake.

I would never buy another Horizon snake again.

Just my two cents on that brand snake.

• Members

I have a 16x8x100' EWI snake and although it's not seen regular use... it's very well built and I'm looking to get an EWI 32x12x150' snake on a reel and a 12x4x30' as well to run to the front of the stage.

Previous drop snakes I've owned;

• 12x4x50' Musician's Gear - Was fine, had a few wires pull loose on fan end, decided to unload it and get another EWI,
  • 16x4x100' Rapco - Bought used and it was beat but didn't have to do a thing to it for 3 years, sold when I bought the snake with extra returns,
  • 8x4x30' Livewire bought at GC to use as drum snake... was junk, took it back for refund.

... YMMV, but never buy a snake sight/unseen... unless it's from a reputable dealer.

• Members

I use several sub snakes routinely. My primary snake (when not using the digital one) is an EWI 32/8. From that I run three sub snakes onto the stage. Two are Whirlwind Mini-12s (50 and 25) and the last is Mini-6 (25.) That gives me the thirty channels that the 01v96s support for mics. The last two channels are used at the console for music playback and talkback. I don't always use all the drop snakes, but it is nice to have them for those stages where you need them. Generally I can drop one 12 at the back of the stage and the 6 at the front and cover most things I do. They were great investments.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/snakes/mini-6

Archived