Falling Aussie Dollar causes panic over digital mixer purchase

• Members

They keep adding features to the StudioLives. New software, SMAART functions. The boards are much different than when they were first released into the wild.

I have a 16.0.2 and a 24.4.2. I'm able to use the same computer with both which is nice! If you want an X32 or Mackie, maybe now is the time to get it.

• Members

G-day Art since you being a combat warrior down under in Bon Scott land.  Might check out the coming A&H digital Mixwiz which no computer needed for multi-tracking and remote mixing which also has dancing moving faders and dubs as DAW controller and even a Joey could mix on it, and it's A&H mixer need I say more.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I'm still puzzled about the fascination with technology over good basic, solid products. These are just tools, not the way to get "the good mix". The mix comes from skill and practice.

In my case it's not facination, it's the acceptance that they aren't mutually exclusive. You can have both! You also don't have to use everything just because "it's in there".... that's the skill and practice part.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I'm still puzzled about the fascination with technology over good basic, solid products. These are just tools, not the way to get "the good mix". The mix comes from skill and practice.

Well, for some of us it isn't purely fascination with technology, or assuming that the tech will result in a better mix. For me, it's the peripheral things that would make life a little easier -- like scene recall, multitrack recording without needing a laptop, iPad sound check, and eliminating extra rackmount processors. 

I still want the core mixer functions to be solid and reliable. I understand that there are some potential compromises in reliability with a digital mixer, but there will always be a backup mixer in my truck, whether I'm going analog or digital. If I buy a digital mixer in the near future it will be from one of the more respected brands. I won't buy anything that requires an iPad as the only interface, for many reasons.

My bottom line is that if a digital mixer allows a faster setup, an easier sound check before the gig, and it means I can haul less rackmount gear, then that's worth an upgrade into digital land, now that we have some interesting new 16 channel alternatives to choose from. It's not really about getting "the good mix," because I can do that on just about anything.

I haven't jumped on the compact digital mixer bandwagon yet, but I'm looking. So far, that Qu-16 is a frontrunner, although there are still some things I like about the somewhat goofy Line6 mixer, like the smaller footprint and no flying fader maintenance to worry about.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Well for me I'd be fascinated with Robo roadie since gotta roadie my own every time I mix live along with McApple or McGogggle touchpad watch with speed of light wifi for zero latency complete wireless PA set up and can record straight to the cloud which downloads to my credit card size desktop at home. Along with smaart autotune PA wizard  bundled with  different pro live engineer mix sims and Robo roadie can DD for me. Now that would fascinating technology.

Archived