ground stacking subs vs on platforms

• Members

I'm in the process of changing my "A" FOH racks & stacks.  The big change will be the changing of the stacks... the amp racks will just get reconfigured.  One thing I'm wrestling with concerning the new to me stacks is "stacking them"... as the subs are 33" tall as well as the mid-highs being 33" tall.  Ground stacking will put the the centers of the HF hornflairs at approx. 58" (4' 10") off the ground.  I'm thinking of building some portable platforms to raise the stacks up approx. 14 - 16"... which will result in uncoupling the subs from the ground.  I'm wondering that the caviots might be with that plan?

The options might be:

1)  Raise the stacks a minimum of 14 - 16" via platforms: likely preferred from a logistical standpoint, or:

2)  Ground stack the subs and raise the mid-highs: less preferred from a logistics standpoint, and would uncouple the subs from the mid-highs, or:

3)  Fly the arrays:  Least preferred from a logistical standpoint.

humm... ?

• Members

Unalaska wrote:

Seems like a pole between would be the smallest/lightest option. Or carry a 2x4 deck with 24" legs.

Concerning poles:  Neither the subs nor mid-highs are equipped with pole cups... not that pole cups couldn't be added... but it would be a project adding pole cups to 16 boxes... and I suspect there might be physical constraints to adding pole cups to these cabinets... not the least of which could be getting 126 lb. mid-high cabs up on pole cups.  And there'd likely be an aesthetics issue with arrays on poles.

I'm thinking decks (platforms) would be just dandy from a logistical and aesthetics standpoint... I could skirt the fronts of the decks.  I am also considering making the decks deep enough and put some caster cups in the back of the decks to accommodate putting the amp racks up on the backs of the decks.  I figured on custom fabricating the decks (aluminum tubing and plywood deck) or get a couple StageRight Z-800 platforms.

My only concern with using decks is how that effects the low frequency response of the system and the physics of the sound.

• Members

How about stacking subs 2 high (or 2 high on their "side" and then put tops on top? I see this more often than not where the width of the speaker system needs to be controlled (or are part of a line array system with the subs under.

• Members

This topic of raising mains is an issue to me as well. I have four Bag End Crystals that weigh around 115 each. Getting them much beyond the top of the subs can be tricky and dangerous. Saving my pennies for GT lifts, seems to be the only option to lift them safely.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

This topic of raising mains is an issue to me as well. I have four Bag End Crystals that weigh around 115 each. Getting them much beyond the top of the subs can be tricky and dangerous. Saving my pennies for GT lifts, seems to be the only option to lift them safely.

Good point.  My existing system, the mid-highs weigh approx. 170ea.  The sub cabs are approx. 50" tall, as well as the mid-highs being approx. 50" tall, so ground stacked, the HF horn throat is at approx. 90" off the ground... which is generally just about right.  But... it's a minimum of a 3 man (4 man preferred) job to stack and unstack the stacks... and they can't be stacked in the truck (not enough roof height by about 1/2 ft.), so the cabs consume quite a bit of floor space in the truck.

I'm expecting that with the new system, it could be a two man job to stack the stacks... and if need be, the cabs can be stacked in the truck as well.  Maybe a couple of Genie Super Towers would be the path of least resistance and the safest... but Super Towers are kind-of "big and heavy"... I think an ST-20 weighs about 500 lbs.  And I don't need ST-20's... I need like ST-2's.  I was thinking with 4 x 8ft. platforms, there'd be room to maneuver while standing on the platform... and a StageRight 4 x 8 platform is a bit over 100lbs.

• Members

I considered scaffold also but it doesn't fix the problem of how to lift heavy cabs up 5-6 feet to get them on the scaffold. I do a lot of solo jobs so that wouldn't work for me. Though much more expensive than scaffolding, crank lifts like the GT's are the only option for me.

Archived