Pressure's sitting on my shoulders now...

• Members

This has been an eventful week for sure.  Been in talks with one of the local fair organizers who is wanting me to run sound for the fair, as well as a separate concert for an Eagles tribute band, it's not a huge show, but definitely putting the pressure on me.  Also today, I thought Thursday was going to be a run-of-the-mill bike night show with a blues band I've worked with several times...nope, I have a buddy covering that, because I was asked to run sound for a concert for West Virginia's 150th birthday celebration, supposedly the Governor and everyone is going to be there, so the pressure is definitely sitting on me...this must be what being a "big kid" sound guy is like.  Wish me luck!

• Members

I know that stress, been there before...multiple rigs out on the same day, trying to coordinate it all, hoping everything works & everyone shows up to work all the stuff. I make lists and cross stuff off. 

you know to do this. just leave enough time to set up, bring enough little stuff for "by the ways" like cords, stands, DI boxes, etc. Eat well, drink water. Bring a thermos of coffee or soup. Skip the caffeine until 75% done. lol

• Members

...this must be what being a "big kid" sound guy is like.

I believe you are correct.

Thinking back:  When I was a kid, I told my mom that when I grow-up, I want to be a sound guy.  She said:  "Don't be silly, you can't do both."

I believe she was correct... thank goodness... cause my "work" still seems like really fun play even after nearly 40 years in the saddle... regardless of whatever pressure might be involved... sometimes it can be fairly serious play (if you stop to think about it)... but you can't beat it with a stick.

• Members

djiceman1575 wrote:

I have a buddy covering that, because I was asked to run sound for a concert for West Virginia's 150th birthday celebration,

Hire sound guys for all of your stages and leave yourself free to supervise and put out fires

• Members

Remember to keep calm. When I do a bigger gig there's always a few organizers who are going crazy, a bundle of nerves. Know that your gear is all in working order, backups on hand. Know your cables are all good. Be the calm in the storm. Everything is fine, there's no problems.

If something comes up, as long as its not catastrophic, everything is fine. Be reassuring, friendly. It's all going according to plan.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

If something comes up, as long as its not catastrophic, everything is fine. Be reassuring, friendly. It's all going according to plan.

And then ask if anyone has caught the tiger that escaped from the zoo yesterday.  :smiley-eatdrink004:

• Members

Relax. You didn't get in this position because you are incompetent. You got there because you CAN do the gig. Make a list of what you need to bring, and what needs to be done. Check it twice, or until you are comfortable that nothing is forgotten. Then just do what needs to be done. 

The list is so the things you can control are done. Anything you can't control, from weather to extreme illness, is just a gamble we all take at every show. Don't let anxiety ruin your confidence or sidetrack your plans. 

You have the gear, you have the skills, and it appears you have the gig. What is there to worry about?

• Members

I agree, but not every square inch of the field is going to be packed. It's not a huge event, but bigger than your average bar band. I shouldn't have a problem with 4 153's over 8 181's...we will see closer to crunch time, i have the option to rent if we need it.

Archived