Peavy Triflex subwoofer

• Members

G'day to all, I have an opportunity to purchase a Peavy Triflex subwoofer from the early 80s, It contains 2 12inch Rola speakers, not sure of the condition of them. They are asking $175 aus for it, should be able to do a bit better on the price. If the speakers are no good what would be a good replacement? The cabinet is in very good condition. Hoping that some of you older guys may have some knowledge or experience with this subwoofer.

• Members

Jules@52 wrote:

G'day to all, I have an opportunity to purchase a Peavy Triflex subwoofer from the early 80s, It contains 2 12inch Rola speakers, not sure of the condition of them. They are asking $175 aus for it, should be able to do a bit better on the price. If the speakers are no good what would be a good replacement? The cabinet is in very good condition. Hoping that some of you older guys may have some knowledge or experience with this subwoofer.

Might hit up the Peavey forum http://forums.peavey.com/viewforum.php?f=26

• Members

twostone wrote:

Jules@52 wrote:

Might hit up the Peavey forum

Cheers mate, thanks for the Link.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Rola made cast frame, 4" vc 12" drivers at one time but they had to be rear mounted due to basket geometry. I don't recall any that were suitable as l.f. drivers however. They were also very heavy.

Ok thanks for that, probably not worth the effort to restore, easier to buy new powered. I am considering a Cerwin vega CVA115 or maybe 2 of  to cover venues of up to 150 people. Do you think that would do the job?

Thanks.

• Members

In 1978 or 79, I did a series of trade show demonstrations for CV with one of the earthquake systems. Going from memory, there were 4 or 6 of the b-36 cabinets that were like 3' deep folded horns, CV-1800i amps, and a tascam 3300 reel to reel at 15 ips playing a sculpted noise track. Very efficient cabinets that went down pretty low clustered as long large mouth horns. Not something I would want to take on the road today. The CV of today is nothing like Gene's CV. They never had a good top cabinet however.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

In 1978 or 79, I did a series of trade show demonstrations for CV with one of the earthquake systems. Going from memory, there were 4 or 6 of the b-36 cabinets that were like 3' deep folded horns, CV-1800i amps, and a tascam 3300 reel to reel at 15 ips playing a sculpted noise track. Very efficient cabinets that went down pretty low clustered as long large mouth horns. Not something I would want to take on the road today. The CV of today is nothing like Gene's CV. They never had a good top cabinet however.

Thats very interesting, sounds like they are riding on the coattails of their past reputation. Shame really because I remember being really impressed by the sensuround experience at my local theatre. I guess time will tell if the product they are putting out there now will stand up to the rigours of working bands. The range of speakers they sell here in my opinion are marketed towards the weekend warrior type bands and not the Pro Audio touring market.

Archived