105 microphones at the college world series

• Members

I'm not much of a baseball fan, but have the college world series on in the background as I work on my setlist for Saturday's wedding. They just said there are 105 microphones being used for the production and showed a graphic with this information:

32 in outfield wall

4 in each dugout

3 in each bullpen

1 on each of the 6 umpires

1 on each base

3 in the ground around home plate

Anyway, I just thought that was interesting and figured I'd pass it along here.

• Members

OK, I admit that I read the thread title and wondered why the hell would the announcers be using Neuman KMS 105 microphones at a baseball game? Duh! I guess it's time to ask for the audio geek club membership card.... (facepalm) Mark C.

• Members

Rediculous IMO.

I would be very wary micing a dugout, umpire or officials, etc. The potential for embarrassing material could be career ending for somebody or even an audio guy. IMO, this is sticking an audio nose where it does not belong.

• Members

I don't watch a lot of sports, but when I do I have become more aware of extreme shots showing players rearranging their junk, picking their noses, hawking nasty lugies, and making off color comments. I don't find any of the above particularly enhancing to the game experience myself.

• Members

I might have mentioned that a friend of my teched the 2012 paralympics. He was up on the roof hanging audience mics, putting mics into the ground to pick up the thud of the shotput and all kinds of areas that I just hadn't thought of. It sounded like a great gig, and I was suitably jealous. But then again, my days of being up on the ceiling/roof of a huge stadium are probably over anyway - best to leave it to someone younger.

• Members

Personally, I'm glad to see this level of audio detail being brought to sports broadcast in order to enhance the experience. Not only is it nice to see audio getting some budget, but this is also where the art of sound design begins.

-Dan.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

I think about what I normally hear during a baseball game

1--homeplate ump

2--crowd

3--announcer

The rest of it is pretty much self explanatory. Can't see a reason to mic so many things

It's about creating a hyper-reality that's more cinema-like and less "realistic." Read the Atlantic article posted earlier about the Olympics. The stuff they did was really interesting.

-Dan.

Archived