something like JBL VRX932LAP + JBL VRX918S

• Members

longtime reader first time poster :wave:

looking at picking up 2x VRX932LAP and 2x JBL VRX918S for some upcoming gigs. i chose them because the only system i've ever rented has been 4x VRX932LAP with 2x 918S

do any of you have recommendations of a setup that would work for a similar number of people (~500) that might cost a little bit less, perhaps??

looking for: powered, relatively portable.

Thanks for any recommendations!

• Members

Maybe the QSC KLA

This.

-or-

If you want something really special, check out a KS Audio Session3 system. Mine's being delivered next week. We do shows for mostly 150-250 people. But every so often do shows for up to 500-600 outside. I needed a system that could be modular and flexibile. I flew to Florida back in spring to have a live demo of the KS Audio systems, and was truly impressed. Full Review - Click Here

• Members

A pair of PRX625's over four PRX618S-XLR will cover 500 in most rooms of that size. Unless your music is bass light a pair of VRX918S isn't enough - were they enough for 500 when you rented them?

Nothing like what the system the OP posted, which he has already tried out and was satisfactory. Why double up on the subs and the tops are even less like the VRX.

Seems like you don't read the original questions or give it much thought...

• Members

Some easy choices are a pair of 618XLF's and 4 of the 612's, that's pretty close to what's inside the VRX's anyway but you aren't paying for the marketing and the packaging and the extra mechanical hardware. The QSC KW is another good option, there's the Yamaha DSL line, etc.

One thing I like about the PRX series (just like the VRX) is that the internal power and DSP processing package makes this a really easy, great sounding and reliable system out of the box. It's also just about the same weight as the VRX, and similar performance H x W.

• Members

Some easy choices are a pair of 618XLF's and 4 of the 612's, that's pretty close to what's inside the VRX's anyway but you aren't paying for the marketing and the packaging and the extra mechanical hardware. The QSC KW is another good option, there's the Yamaha DSL line, etc.

One thing I like about the PRX series (just like the VRX) is that the internal power and DSP processing package makes this a really easy, great sounding and reliable system out of the box. It's also just about the same weight as the VRX, and similar performance H x W.

Hey Aged one, since we are talking about both products. Do you think there is any performance upgrade in output or sound quality going from the 618XLF to the VRX918SP?

• Members

Hey Aged one, since we are talking about both products. Do you think there is any performance upgrade in output or sound quality going from the 618XLF to the VRX918SP?

They use the same driver, right? I've been told the VRX is essentially a beefed up "flyable" version. If you don't need to fly it, from a performance standpoint, there would be no reason to spend the extra dough on the VRX.

• Members
the tops are even less like the VRX.

In what way is a VRX932LAP more than a PRX625? Specs show them within a db of each other. A CAREFUL reading of the OP would reveal that he is only looking for something similar in output to a single pair of VRX932LAP that would cost less - looks to me that a pair of PRX625 is that. And I was questioning him as to whether a single pair of VRX918S or XLF (very similar in output) would cover the low end of the style of music he does. Folks 'round here I've heard tell of run two XLF under each 625 for rooms that size.

• Members

They use the same driver, right? I've been told the VRX is essentially a beefed up "flyable" version. If you don't need to fly it, from a performance standpoint, there would be no reason to spend the extra dough on the VRX.

Same driver yes, different box and different amp module. The power ratings are different too. The XLF is rated at 1000w peak and the SP is rated at 1500w peak. Does that really make any difference? I dont know...

• Members

A pair of PRX625's over four PRX618S-XLR will cover 500 in most rooms of that size. Unless your music is bass light a pair of VRX918S isn't enough - were they enough for 500 when you rented them?

it definitely wasn't *quite* enough bass for the music. wasn't chest shaking or anything, but it got the job done.

--

the PRX625s look like the best fit so far, but I was imagining there would be a company that offered a similar/better quality as JBL brand for less $$, is that an unrealistic hope?

are the QSC KW152/153 a similar/better option than the PRX625? the stats look similar, except that the 625 has a 500W higher output rating?

is this just one of those things where, like in Car Audio, all manufacturers dramatically inflate their wattage ratings and some do so worse than others?

ALSO, that KS Audio Sat 3 looks super rad, but it is also extremely expensive

• Members
it definitely wasn't *quite* enough bass for the music. wasn't chest shaking or anything, but it got the job done.

Well, you can always add a second pair later if you decide you need more low end :) .

the PRX625s look like the best fit so far, but I was imagining there would be a company that offered a similar/better quality as JBL brand for less $$, is that an unrealistic hope? Are the QSC KW152/153 a similar/better option than the PRX625? the stats look similar, except that the 625 has a 500W higher output rating? Is this just one of those things where, like in Car Audio, all manufacturers dramatically inflate their wattage ratings and some do so worse than others?

Yah, they are all claiming power that their drivers can never use so best to go by SPL ratings. You're looking for a single pair of something that can cover 500 and that's going to drive you towards a more expensive speaker that those more common ones that can cover 300 on a good day :) . I've not heard the louder KW boxes but they seem to have good reviews. Around these parts there are a fair amount of folks (AKA potential clients) that recognize the JBL brand as being top-of-the-line and wouldn't know a QSC from a Gemini :freak: so all other things equal I'd go JBL. Resale value tends to be higher too...

• Members

Well, you can always add a second pair later if you decide you need more low end
:)
.Yah, they are all claiming power that their drivers can never use so best to go by SPL ratings. You're looking for a single pair of something that can cover 500 and that's going to drive you towards a more expensive speaker that those more common ones that can cover 300 on a good day
:)
. I've not heard the louder KW boxes but they seem to have good reviews. Around these parts there are a fair amount of folks (AKA potential clients) that recognize the JBL brand as being top-of-the-line and wouldn't know a QSC from a Gemini
:freak:
so all other things equal I'd go JBL. Resale value tends to be higher too...

My bigger set up is 2 625's over 4 XLF's and I really could not be happier. I do stuff outside and in and can't think of a time where I was wanting more. I also scale back to a pair of the 615's over 4 XLF's sometimes because of ceiling heights. 1 comment I would make is the horizontal coverage a couple times this summer i did a field setting for summer concert series deal. The sound down the middle no issue but in some case skewed left and right people complained about losing the high end but by the time they got to the mix position kinda had a perplexed look. Next year I am thinking 4 625's splayed out. Not sure how they will play nice together but that is what I am thinking.

• Members

In what way is a VRX932LAP more than a PRX625? Specs show them within a db of each other. A CAREFUL reading of the OP would reveal that he is only looking for something similar in output to a single pair of VRX932LAP that would cost less - looks to me that a pair of PRX625 is that. And I was questioning him as to whether a single pair of VRX918S or XLF (very similar in output) would cover the low end of the style of music he does. Folks 'round here I've heard tell of run two XLF under each 625 for rooms that size.

You need to READ the posts... less LIKE... it's (PRX625) large, heavier, not really as scalable, etc.

The PRX-625 is ok IF you don't plan on adding subs, if you don't need the ability to cover wide spaces (wider than a single horn flair will cover on the 625), the horn/driver combination is too small to allow for a low enough crossover to make a dual 15" driver work as well, and I think the 612's sound better.

I would take 4 of the 612's rather than 2 of the 625's myself, that would work much better for my clients, there's always a back-up per side, they can be repurposed for small speaker on stick applications, easier resale, monitors, and you have twice as much HF available.

• Members

Same driver yes, different box and different amp module. The power ratings are different too. The XLF is rated at 1000w peak and the SP is rated at 1500w peak. Does that really make any difference? I dont know...

The difference is pretty small IME, but if you fly, the extra power (remember it's now full space) may be a bit helpful in equalizing the sub to the tops. The DSP may also help equalize things with different limiting algorithms.

• Members
The PRX-625 is ok IF you don't plan on adding subs, if you don't need the ability to cover wide spaces (wider than a single horn flair will cover on the 625), the horn/driver combination is too small to allow for a low enough crossover to make a dual 15" driver work as well, and I think the 612's sound better.

I'm certainly not a fan of 2x15 cabs (both in sound and weight) and would go the "four PRX612M" route myself if I needed active cabs but the OP seems to want a single cab per side that can cover 500 so there it is :) .

• Members
1 comment I would make is the horizontal coverage a couple times this summer i did a field setting for summer concert series deal. The sound down the middle no issue but in some case skewed left and right people complained about losing the high end but by the time they got to the mix position kinda had a perplexed look.

I'm confused - do you point the speakers out a bit to increase side coverage and have a dead spot up close in the middle? I point my speakers IN as much as 45 degrees to increase coverage and focus more SPL on the dance floor and/or folks up front that want it louder. Indoors that gets the sound off the walls too.

• Members

Where does he say that?

I kind of suggested it, but I don't necessarily - none of that is to say I want to add to argument here. You are all nice helpful people and no need to be mad :)

Is that true? One of the guys that posted mentioned using 4 subs with his PRX 625 pair, but that was something I wondered about as well. Isn't it better in general to have dedicated high/mids and dedicated lows?

I imagine having two 612s and two 618s, for example, would be more effective than two 625s and two 618s dollar for dollar...?

• Members

ALSO, that KS Audio Sat 3 looks super rad, but it is also extremely expensive

As the old sayings go: "You get what you pay for!" and "Buy once, cry once!"

With discounts, a KS Audio Sat3 system (single sub) should cost under $7000.... and with 2 subs under $9000. I opted for the Session 3 system, which is 2 of the CB18 subs from the Sat3 system... and then the higher quality C12 tops from their Conset line. Think of it as a hybrid setup between the Sat3 and Conset. They sound incredible and are worth every penny. If you have the time do do so, research them. Their technology is quite impressive, and years ahead of its time over the "average consumer" market.

For what it's worth, the fact that their systems are modular and scalable with their Onboard and also USB+Wireless Controllable Software is just icing on the cake. I can easily add a set of C1 tops for a remote setup without the system even breaking a sweat.

The only downside is, their systems are completely proprietary. It's just like Apple. You have to use "their" stuff.

• Members

I might try the PRX 635 instead of the 625. I havent heard either but I would think the 8" mid would help allot in the vocal range right between the hi freq. driver and the woofer. Im guessing that the hi freq. and woofers are all the same in the PRX line up.

Archived