Geezers Club

• Members

JR, welcome to the club. If it is any consolation, tomorrow I hit 60 and my son is 10. (I started late, as with most things....) He told me last night that I was about to be as old as God was 50 years ago. My wife told me she was going to plant me in the backyard, until she realized the Beagle would just dig me up. Families are so much fun!

Download some Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga (or is that gag-gag) so you can really feel your age.

• Members

I hit 60 in a couple of weeks, but I think mental geezerhood set in years ago.

It creeps up on 'ya. Before you know it, you're no longer a respected older adult; you've crossed the line into Old Fart.

I'm just glad we're still at a point in the technology where I can understand (mostly) how things work, even with the newer digital stuff. We're not yet at the point where the tech is embedded in our brains. I'll be perfectly happy to check out, before that happens.

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

tomorrow I hit 60 and my son is 10. (I started late, as with most things....)

Happy birthday Stuart.

Hopefully I'm not the only one to offer congrats over the next 24 hours.

Hopefully Saturday morning you have some new pictures for the scrap book.

And for what it's worth: I'm 57 and I think I'm still wrestling with some stuff that I think my peers had pretty well figured out in their teens.  Either I was a late starter like you, or I and possibly you too skipped a few steps along the way and now are wondering what was up with that back then.

• Members

Happy Birthday to both Stuart and RR. 

Though I receive mail from AARP, I would never use them. AMAC for me all the way.

And yes, my wife thinks it's hilarious that I qualify. Just wait, I told her. Her day is coming...

Just three weeks I will be 51. Sheesh. Where has the time gone? Oh. Right. In bars and festivals. hmmmm.

• Members

When I turned 50 it wasn't so bad but through the years strange things happened. I remember slow dancing with a rather nice young lady one night. Asked where she was from and found out she was from my home town. She told me who her parents were and I realized I had graduated with them! Exit dance floor...

I still feel 25, until the 3am load out that is, but I'm also sure that the 20 somethings see us as old people. Sometimes I bet they are thinking what is the old guy doing here.  

We are just young people trapped in old bodies!

Dookietwo

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

When I turned 50 it wasn't so bad but through the years strange things happened. I remember slow dancing with a rather nice young lady one night. Asked where she was from and found out she was from my home town. She told me who her parents were and I realized I had graduated with them! Exit dance floor...

I still feel 25, until the 3am load out that is, but I'm also sure that the 20 somethings see us as old people. Sometimes I bet they are thinking what is the old guy doing here.  

We are just young people trapped in old bodies!

Dookietwo

I feel the same as I did when I was in my late twenties, im now 52. Have to agree with you on the early hours of the morning load out. Last night we had a guy in his 80s that danced right thru to the end of our last set, he was celebrating with his granddaughter who just turned 21! What stamina it blew me away.

• Members

6Imzadi wrote:

...Though I receive mail from AARP, I would never use them....

I got my AARP card a few years ago - more than anything, just so I could pull it out when talking to the 20 and 30 somethings on the adult league hockey teams I play on as a joke.   Nothing like looking a kid in the eye and telling him to come back when he's got one of these - and then flop the ol' AARP card on the bar.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I'm seeing more and more of the over 50 crowd still touring. In fact, generally it makes things easier when there's a little maturity and experience mixed in.

First chance I've had to check in since the post (that 14 year old is running me ragged :-). Thanks for the reply's. I'd wish you a happy birthday too but I try and forget mine (sometimes I really Do ;-).

I agree that working with older technicians is usualy better. Unless they're having a cranky day (it happens when you get older) they are mostly mellow and smart. If they made it this far they probably have a clue. They are generaly more respectful and (interestingly enough) more willing to learn AND share new knowledge. There are of course always exceptions.

Archived