DI box recommendations

• Members

Musicians are sometimes asked  to bring their favorite DI boxes to connect into the PA, and being musicians they will sometimes forget to do so if it isn't in their gig bag.   How do you  handle this scenario?  How many spare DI boxes do you keep on hand and any recommendations on brands/models? 

Thanks!

• Members

Are you running sound for bands at the local bar? Open mic? Theater? Festival?

Generally it's accepted the pa provider will furnish all DI's unless spec'd by the band. A minimum in most situations would be a passive stereo DI (ewi makes an excellent one). 3-6 DIs will cover 95% of gigs out there.

Fwiw here's what I carry on average:

1-2 EWI passive stereo

3-4 rapco DI101 passive mono

• Members

Agreed on a couple of passive DIs being most useful (hey they're relatively cheap as well) but if you really want to be thorough, having at least one active box on hand in case someone with a passive instrument pickup forgets theirs might save the sound you are in charge of.  However, if a person has much experience with a passive instrument pickup I'll bet they'll either rely on a preamp stomp-box or will make sure they bring their own active DI as it makes a substantial difference in the quality of sound from their instrument.

• Members

I have 6 active DI's, 2 passive DI's, and 2 stereo passive DI's, so I guess that's a total of 12 channels of DI.  Most of them are Radial, but I have a couple EWI and Whirlwind mixed in.  That's enough for most of the shows I do, but I plan on getting 2 more active and 2 passive DI's, which should cover the rest of the stuff I do.

General practice is that the PA provider provides all mics and DI's, as specified by the band's rider (or whatever you want to use if they don't have a rider).  The exception is that some bands have their preferences and will bring their own mics and/or DI's, but they usually specify that in advance.  Either way, you should be prepared to provide all the mics and DI's that the band needs, and then they can change them out if they have special ones they want to use.

• Members

Guys, thanks for all the responses.  I'll sort through the recomendations and pickup a few.  I run sound for my band and have been asked to provide sound at a few local festivals.  That side of the business is picking up a little bit.   Usually we're working with bands I know, but sometimes, like this last job, I got caught not having a DI for someone that forgot theirs.  We borrowed one and the show went on.  It seems that most acoustic players like using their own boxes for the sound quality and control versus a basic in/out DI.  

By the way I'm always lurking on HC and very impressed with the quality of the advice from the folks that hang out in this forum.  You guys are awesome.

• Members

For me it depends heavily on the gig - rock vs. jazz vs. corporate, and the size/fame of the band.

That being said, I like Radial if the name on the box matters. If the name doesn't matter but you want good quality for a great price, EWI. If you do a lot of acoustic instruments with pickups then the Countryman 85 is the gold standard, though the Radial PZ DI is also good.

• Members

Note that the DB-BLOX is not 1:1 but is 6:1 and is generally wired as a DI not as a 1:1 isolator. Pin 1 is connected to sleeve as well.

Note that the ART unit has input sleeve connected to chassis and to pin 1 of XLR channel 1, without a lift switch. Again, this may be problematic.

I use 1:1 line level isolation between anything in my system and the outside world (like broadcast trucks, house systems front fills, balcony fills, video dicks, etc. I also isolate everything that comes to me from the same sources, especially video dicks.

• Members

I have gradually made the change over the years to only using Radial DI boxes; they aren't exactly cheap but in my experience are bullet proof. I pack 10 (6 standard, 4 stereo) with me at all times now and have only ever needed a max of 6; I generally don't ever use ones brought by the band except in rare cases where they have a specialty one for some accoustic instruments.

• Members

Yeah, not exactly cheap, nor perhaps any "better" or more "bullet proof" than other very viable options either. IMO, there are better ways for most fiolks to spend their money (if money is an issue). But, you can't beat their marketing and advertising.

• Members

I use Radial DI's too, and I don't think it's just marketing and advertising that make them a good choice. I know I don't have to worry about build quality or audio quality if I buy a Radial product. I don't think they're over-priced at all. Of course, "value" is relative to your available budget, and I'm a small-timer who doesn't need to stock a dozen DI's. Just a few will do, and so Radial DI's don't break the budget.

• Members

Reson8tor wrote:

I use Radial DI's too, and I don't think it's just marketing and advertising that make them a good choice.

It may be due to marketing and advertising but Radials are the most often spec'd DI where I currently work so it is what we stock the most of.

Archived