THANKS Everyone!! I FINALLY Ordered My New PA Gear!

• Members

Hey just wanted to send out a huge and massive THANK YOU to all the folks who helped me! Agedhorse, Road Ranger, Dcastar, Al Poulin, Bobby1Note, OneEng, Art Flood, twostone, W. M. Hellinger (who I ordered a {censored}load of cables from and will need some more this week), sibyrnes, abzurd, Djiceman, CraigV, jlb, StratGuy, Miko Man, Axis Player, and a ton of others who I cannot remember off the top of my head. Sorry for everyone who helped me and I didn't list!!

Anyway, side from the obvious Audiopyle cables, I ended up ordering:

Mackie DL1608 which will be my backup mixer for the full band and my regular mixer for the acoustic duo. This gives me time to decide on the X32 versus the 24 or 32 channel StudioLive.

2 JBL PRX618XLF subs

2PRX612m's

One EV ELX112p (as an extra monitor wedge for me because I like to take my IEM's out and monitor FOH)

Covers (speaker bags) for everything

Two of the Chauvet 4Bar Tri LED light trees

One Chauvet COLORpalette

iPad 3 64 GB to run the lights and mixers

Hopefully all the gear will come sometime next week or so. ;)

I do have a question about speaker stands for the acoustic duo: I have poles, obviously, for the tops on subs, but I noticed that the PRX612m's are pretty light. So for small bars and restuarants with an acoustic duo, can I get away with cheapie tripod stands, such as the Pyle Audio ones on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PSTND2-Tripod-Speaker-Stand/dp/B000E0PPG0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1364404700&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=speakerlight+stand

Or should I really bite the bullet (buying once) and go for the nice tripod stands?

Thanks again everyone!! :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ChiroVette wrote:

Hey just wanted to send out a huge and massive THANK YOU to all the folks who helped me! Agedhorse, Road Ranger, Dcastar, Al Poulin, Bobby1Note, OneEng, Art Flood, twostone, W. M. Hellinger (who I ordered a {censored}load of cables from and will need some more this week), sibyrnes, abzurd, Djiceman, CraigV, jlb, StratGuy, Miko Man, Axis Player, and a ton of others who I cannot remember off the top of my head. Sorry for everyone who helped me and I didn't list!!

Anyway, side from the obvious Audiopyle cables, I ended up ordering:

Mackie DL1608

which will be my backup mixer for the full band and my regular mixer for the acoustic duo. This gives me time to decide on the X32 versus the 24 or 32 channel StudioLive.

2 JBL PRX618XLF subs

2PRX612m's

One EV ELX112p (as an extra monitor wedge for me because I like to take my IEM's out and monitor FOH)

Covers (speaker bags) for everything

Two of the Chauvet 4Bar Tri LED light trees

One Chauvet COLORpalette

iPad 3 64 GB to run the lights and mixers

Hopefully all the gear will come sometime next week or so.
;)

I do have a question about speaker stands for the acoustic duo: I have poles, obviously, for the tops on subs, but I noticed that the PRX612m's are pretty light. So for small bars and restuarants with an acoustic duo, can I get away with cheapie tripod stands, such as the Pyle Audio ones on Amazon?

Or should I really bite the bullet (buying once) and go for the nice tripod stands?

Thanks again everyone!!
:)

Hey Paul,

Great system!  I am sure you are going to love it.  I am envious ;)  

Those lights look great.  The mixer and iPad .... great.  The FOH speakers .... great.

You have certianly done your homework on this.  I look forward to hearing how it sounds once you get it all up and running :)

• Members

loco_p_man wrote:

Nice one Chirovette. It's been fun watching your journey towards this purchase. I am looking at exactly the same combination of PRX 612Ms over PRX 618XLFs. It will probably take me longer to get there than you, but I'll be really interested to see what you make of this setup. Please keep posting once you have the new kit and can tell us about your experiences.

thumb.gif

It took me a lot longer to save for this system than I thought it would, to be honest. I was supposed to order everything a little after the new year, but lol things didn't pan out that way. It got to the point where I started feeling guilty, like a troll, every time I was asking questions about "this elusive new gear" I was buying because I half expected people to be like, "Um asshole, why are you still asking questions? Didn't you buy this crap already?! Sheesh!"

Bobby1Note wrote:

Congratulations on your new system ChiroVette; you've certainly done your fair share of research into what's right for you. Well done, and I hope you'll have years of pleasure with your new gear. The PRX's are fine sounding boxes, so you're off to a pretty solid start.

Thanks! Plus, for what I am paying for all this, I have seen used components go on sale on sites like eBay for more than what I am paying used for most of this stuff. So if, at some point, I decide to upgrade, say in the future to SRX or even VRX gear, then I will probably recoup some good coin for what I have ordered. Can't wait to get my hands on this gear!

OneEng wrote: Hey Paul,                                                                                                                 Great system!  I am sure you are going to love it.  I am envious
;)
                                                Those lights look great.  The mixer and iPad .... great.  The FOH speakers .... great.You have certianly done your homework on this.  I look forward to hearing how it sounds once you get it all up and running
:)

Yeah by th way, I ended up buying two of the ColorPalattes to have a set. Maybe I will put those lights in center stage, or perhaps facing the audience, and use the 4Bar Tri's one on each side of the stage in the front pointed in and toward the band.

The beauty of the DL1608 is it gives me plenty of time to make up my mind about the full desk mixer and I won't have to scramble to buy one. Plus I can get my feet wet with digital mixing.

I will post some videos of the band once I get the equipment, so yeah, I am definitely not done with this forum! :)

Miko Man wrote:

You're welcome. My suggestion on tripod stands is to buy quality. I use Ultimate TS-90B and TS-99BL stands. I particularly like the taller version version with the leveling leg. I often use the "angled down" cup position, and get my 612m tops pointed down toward the audience using the taller stand.

Mark C.

I was looking at the TS-99BL stands and almnost pulled the trigger on them. My question is this: Whenever I use the PRX612m's in my full band they will always be on the subs. So the only time I am going to be using the 612m's along, on tripods in other words, will be for my acoustic duo. I guess I am questioning (not arguing with, just questioning) whether or not I need to be spending $350.00 on a pair of tripod stands that will only hold the speakers in little restaurants and little bars accomodating my acoustic duo. So my question is does this change anything with regard to my needs? I am all for "buying once and crying once," which is why I went with the sage advice of the folks in this forum, but that stand looks a little like overkill for what I am using it for, no?

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

The smaller ultimate support stands are not $300 for the pair. I have 20 of them and they are an ideal stand for the PRX. You do not need or even want the really wide footprint of the larger stand imo

Aged, what are your thoughts on the K&M stands I posted a link to?

I am going to look at the smaller Ultimate Support stands now. I assume you are referring to the TS-70 and TS-80 stands? They both look nice.

Oh and here is the link, so you don't have to go fishing through my post above lol:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/415937.html

• Members

Good stuff!! It's awesome pulling the trigger hey.

When I upgraded to my Studiolive, from a powered board, I needed amps, comp, router then the mixer.

So I picked up the amps at good prices, then the comp. looked out for deals. Finally I had to put the hammer down and bring in my board to make the deal on a trade in towards the new board. We agreed on a price and I kept my board until the SL arrived.

Exciting times!!! :)

I like the tri-LED's over the individual ones. Good choice!

• Members

Okay so unless a bunch of people start warning me off the On Stage stands that Space Norman recommended, I am going to pull the trigger on them tomorrow. They look like nice offerings and the PRX612m's are pretty light. Great price, free back, Norman says they are sturdy...

Will I go wrong with these?

Koopdaddy wrote:

You can pick up a 1u 6-8 channel mic mixer and put your drum kit into that to subgroup them..then run the output of that into your main mixer and only use up 1/2 channels on your main mixer for the full drum kit.

I had considered that, but honestly, I would rather just have one large mixer, given the choice. I also like the features especially of the X32 and to a lesser extent the StudioLive.

Archived