Will these work in my cabinets?

• Members

I can grab a pair of eminence omega pro 18c for $150 for the pair.

I know these are 4ohm speaker and the originals are 8. I am fine with that as long as they will work within the parameters of the boxes.

I have the community MVP40's which I got for free. The woofers are mismatched and its hard to dial on because of this. Still, I don't mind how these sound

I would love to upgrade but don't have money to do it. To buy the factory drivers from community I'm at $177 per speaker. Not worth it to me. I'd sooner buy new subs.

I need someone with knowledge to help me and let me know if these speakers are a good match for the boxes.

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/2820-MVP40%20Community%20specs.pdf

http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Omega_Pro_18C.pdf

Thanks!

• Members

Those are fairly high tuned (68 Hz?), old school subs. What do you have them high passed at? I have those same Omega drivers in a pair of folded horns and I'll warn that they don't have the greatest of excursion capabilities. High passed at 50 Hz 24 db/octave and powered by an RNMX2450 or IPR3000 they'd be fine and super punchy smile.gif.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

Those are fairly high tuned (68 Hz?), old school subs. What do you have them high passed at? I have those same Omega drivers in a pair of folded horns and I'll warn that they don't have the greatest of excursion capabilities. High passed at 50 Hz 24 db/octave and powered by an RNMX2450 or IPR3000 they'd be fine and super punchy
smile.gif

I wouldn't power them with those amps... the driver he is looking at is 4 ohms... WAY too much power.

Without runnig the calculations for the box, it's a total crapshoot. Maybe better than what you have now, maybe not. Maybe just different, not knowing the drivers currently in the box.

Might be a good time to look at new subs, sell what you have to a DJ that doesn't care and use thatmoney to upgrade.

• Members

They are 800wrms rated drivers. Mine have only farted out when driven by a IT5000 (2500w each - and not by me facepalm.gif). I've had no issues at all with my IPR3000 driving them even with it's limit light flickering - but as I implied it would be stoopid trying to drive them down where the cab isn't loading them. Those cabs appear to be tuned to 68 Hz - great for "lead kick" biggrin.gif - but not what most would consider true subs these days.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I have a qsc rmx2450, qsc gx7, and a pair of behringer ep2500's. I could pick any those to use that would be best suited.

Since the cabs are not entirely square with the way the woofer is mounted I'm not sure exactly the dimensions. If I remember correctly is around 6.7 ft3 just using the outside dimensions.

The thing I do like about these boxes is the punch they give on the kick. Would probably sound nice paired with something lower hitting.

I have a line on some community s215s subs at $900 for the pair and the option would be some jbl sr4718 for $300 a piece.

Those would probably be my last option. I may take the drive and drop one of the omegas in and see how it performs but if there are any calculation wiz's that knew if it was a bad idea I wouldn't take the drive.

I was crossing over around 100-120hz depending on the music. It seemed where they best sat. Again, its tough since each cab has two different speakers.

If there are other bang for the buck, quality subs on the used market I'm down for that. I am not opposed to selling these off the way are and putting that money to an upgrade.

Archived