Speaker lift options

• Members

Looking to finally get some Global Truss lifts for my mains around end of year. Load will be two cabs per side weighing 240 lbs combined. For essentially the same price, I cam get one pair of st157's or two pair of st132's and two 6 foot sections of square truss to hang between the 132's. I really don't need the extra two feet of the 157's so my question, which set up would offer the greatest stability?

157's with outriggers or dual 132's with the load in the middle? Two 132's do offer about 100 lb greater capacity

• Members

Tomm, how do you anticipate attaching two cabinets to the ST 157 lift? Do the cabinets need to be right next to each other, or will they/can they be separated by a couple of feet? I don't think the ST157 is designed to have support anything other than a centered (non-cantilevered) load.

I think you will find more stability with two ST132's and a section of box truss. (Uglier, but more stable.)

Mark C.

• Members

After reading your response , i paused to think about how I had read the specs. I think I had assumed that the load limit was determined with the load hanging from the truss support. Am I confused? My original thought was to hang a speaker on each side.

Are they only meant to lift a single pole mount type load unless a pair is used with a truss?

• Members

I've tried some things with my st132 . IMO, get the heavier stands. Especially if they go up a bit. The 132 starts to telescope into the round tubing side and gets spindly. I lifted one QSC HPR 153 up between two on truss. It was ok at best. Hard to anchor those stands too. Outside I use those screw thingies that go deep into the ground. 3 guys can't pull those out. Then motorcycle tie downs. Other than that, hard to secure the tripod legs. Go 157

• Members

I would not lift 250 lb of speakers on anythinless than st 157 and even then it could be tippy. I have seen modified, fabricated mounts that hang a speaker below the top, on each side of the stand. Even then, maybe 12 or 15" cabs.

The corkscrew things can sometimes be found at Home Depot. People use them to anchor their dogs at the park. Doesn't work if the soil is loose, sandy. But there are a couple gigs I do where they work well.

You might consider two st157 and truss to go all the way across the stage. You'd have more utility to do some lights. Then hang your two cabs at each end, leaving a margin for weight capacity.

Archived