QSC RMX2450 strange problem

• Members

I bought a used RMX2450 some time ago as a backup for my rig and it worked fine on arrival. I subsequently fitted it into a rack case with rear supports and then tested it. It was working OK, although that was a few months ago.

Tonight, I connected it up to try it out and the Channel 2 clip light came on and there was no sound from the left speaker so I took it out of the rack to inspect it. I put it on the bench and took off the top lid and everything inside looked fine. Ribbon cables are all secure and there is no sign of overheating. Then I powered it up but the Channel 2 clip light was still on. When I picked it up by the front left corner to turn it around, the clip light went off. The case is obviously flexing when I pick it up by the corner, so I think there is something intermittent going on here.

I need to find out what is causing this so I don't know if I should take the whole amp apart and re-assemble it. Maybe someone here, possibly Andy, has come across a problem like this before. I know a good tech but his turnaround is painfully slow.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

• Members

What is the serial number? I can look into any known service problems and give you some recommendations. This rings a bell with me but it was for amps about 5 years old. When you flex the chassis and the clip light goes out, does audio resume?

QSC factory service and support is very good.

• Members

UPDATE!

I looked at the QSC website tech support as per your advice Andy, and I found a service bulletin to remedy this fault. It was a broken leg on transistor Q205 and I now have the service bulletin RMX 0001. The transistor will need replacing and a scope will be required to trim the voltages so I will take the amp to my tech.

Once again, thanks Andy for helping me to focus on solving the problem.

RMX2450 service bulletin

• Members

Not sure if this can also cause the same symptoms, but about 5 years ago, the RMX had another problem (that was fixed under warranty) which was a problem with some of the cables running along the side of the amp. I believe that movement would cause wire chaffing??? Anyway, they shipped out boxes for people to ship the units back to QSC for repair (prepaid). I got a free t-shirt out of the deal which I (sadly) still wear today.

johnny

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Funny thing.  I bought a used QSC RMX  2450 a month ago on ebay.  It also worked fine for about a week.  Then the red clip light came on ch. 1.  That channel also became very distorted.  I pulled it out of the rack, it worked fine.  Put it back in, Same problem. Then I discovered what you did.  When it was on a slight twist, it worked fine.  Luckily, I was able to return it to the seller.  I purchased a second one a few weeks ago.  That one works great. They are great amps.   Keyboard players may enjoy my videos on youtube.  Rudy Rosa.

• Members

mirrorboy wrote:

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. The serial number is 090027154 and audio is perfect when I prop up the rear left corner of the case.

On these amps for serial # 0900xxxxxx  the 09 stands for september and the 00 stands for year 2000 manufacture date. In case anyone still uses these amps. (I do haha)

Archived