Samson L2400 Static

• Members

I have a Samson L2400 mixer that was used in our fellowship hall for the past 3 years. It has been in storage while we remodeled the area. We hooked it up this morning to find that it has bad static on the right main channel. Even with all channels muted and the main fader down, it still shows output on the right main. The output level of the static is constant unlesss you move, or tap, either the main mix or mono fader then the output level spikes then drops completly off for a few seconds.

I am wondering if maybe there is dust or debris in the fader itself. Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Members

So I flipped the board over and removed the bottom and the power supply. Unfortunately it appears that there are signs of moisture on all of the circuit boards.

Is complete disassembly and cleaning worth it? If so what type of cleaner?

• Members

If the mixer is (really) moisture damaged, there really is no way to repair (reasonably) and maintain high confidence that future problems won't plague you.

Do you know what you are looking at when working with electronics? How do you know that it's moisture damage?

• Members

So after doing some research I used a combination of contact cleaner and a soft toothbrush and alcohol with q-tips and was able to clean most all of the signs of corrosion and residue. After re-assembly it ran fine for the entire evenings with no noises. I don't figure it will last forever at this point, but it should serve its purpose until we get  a new one

On a side note, this mixer is a PITA to work on. Everything is on large circuit boards that require the entire console to be broken down to get to anything. No way to change a single channel if it is damaged.

• Members

Often flux residue is mistaken for moisture damage, some flux processes are more prone to looking like this than others.

Regarding replacing channels, a real shop would repair at the component level, it's not that difficult if you know what you are doing and have the proper test gear.

Archived