Lost a woofer

• Members

One of my JBL SR4722x boxes lost the 12" woofer. I tore it apart and battery tested the speaker (2206hpl is 8 ohm). It made a noise, so I suspected the crossover. Checked the solder joints and all looked well. I touched them up anyway, still no low end. So I chesked the resistance of the driver...1.9 ohms. I think the vc is shorted.

I ran sound for a too loud Metal band a couple of weeks ago and I think that did it. I run 2 of these a side powered by PLX 3602's over 2 SR4718x Subs per side powered by IPR3000's. I gotta quit doing other bands. When my band plays thru it, this system kicks loud and clean.

• Members

Agreed. I guess I'm just venting because I tried to push my system too hard and pooped a cone. It was my own stupidity. But it begs the question, is my Driverack not set up properly? I started with the default SR 4722x setting and then tweaked the limiters while using pink noise and watching the amp clip lights.

I'm kind of thinking it was just this band playing everything on 11and me struggling to make it sound somewhat intelligible. It was in a small room with hangar like acoustics.

• Members

It's possible it was a cumulative thing..but I just found out we have a gig this weekend after dropping it off at Superior Speaker in Orlando. He's going to recone with an aftermarket kit. I asked him what the difference was and he said the cones look a litte different but he regularly uses them for the big production houses in town and never had a complaint. And the aftermarket kit is 1/2 the price of the JBL kit. So now that I have a gig this weekend I needed to find a replacement and I found a pair on Craigslist. I already put one in the box and it sounds fine. So in a week or so, I'll have a fresh recone and 2 backups.

Archived