Monitors mixing passive with powered

• Members

Everyone here is so helpful I'm sure this will be easy to answer. Can I run two 8ohm monitors in parallel and add onto the end a powered monitor? Will this upset the amp and if not will it change the output wattage?

• Members

The amp probably won't care and the passive speakers still operate the same until the input on the powered speaker melts and causes a direct short!

Seriously the input on typical powered speakers accept at the very most line level signals - on the order of maybe 15V  rms from the maximum output of a pro level mixer.  Your amp, depending on the size might put out maximums in excess of 100V rms and will grossly overload the input to the powered speaker.

You might be able to use this kind of signal path if you put some sort of attenuator in line prior to the powered speaker input.  But a more common routing would be to split the signal off on the input side of the amp and drive the powered monitor with that line level signal.

• Members

mikekars wrote:

The amp probably won't care and the passive speakers still operate the same until the input on the powered speaker melts and causes a direct short!

Seriously the input on typical powered speakers accept at the very most line level signals - on the order of maybe 15V  rms from the maximum output of a pro level mixer.  Your amp, depending on the size might put out maximums in excess of 100V rms and will grossly overload the input to the powered speaker.

You might be able to use this kind of signal path if you put some sort of attenuator in line prior to the powered speaker input.  But a more common routing would be to split the signal off on the input side of the amp and drive the powered monitor with that line level signal.

Thanks for that very informative reply Mikears, you posted at the same time I was trying to send my post! What you are saying makes a lot of sense, appreciate it:smiley-eatdrink004:

Archived