Quick unity gain question on my mixer (behringer xenyx 802)

• Members

When I originally setup my Behringer mixer I followed all the setups to setup a unity gain structure so everything would clip at the same time. The only thing I was a little confused about was where the actual knobs should be set on my mixer?

I was under the impression that when everything was set properly, the loudest point would be at 0db (12 oclock) and anything past that was pushing into the clipping territory. Is that where they are supposed to be? or should it be setup so I have full range of my master knob so when I am at the loudest point the knob should be fully clockwise (+15) on my mixer?

Right now I have my mixer setup as so, you can see all the knobs point straight up to 0db and I have set my gain structure around that as my loudest point.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/802_P0575_Right_XXL.png

• Members

Ummmm, amps should limit about 12dB before anything else in the signal path. Otherwise, when you run out of PA, you will clip the drive signal rather than limit it via the amp's internal limiter.

This whole "everything should clip as the same time" is just plain wrong and bad gain structure management. Period.

Archived