Remote video question....

• Members

Quick background, a girl was killed this weekend and her family is very active within the church that my sisters family attends. They are having the funeral at the church, but are expecting way more people then will fit in this relatively small church. My sister contacted me asking about running a projector and screen remotely into the basement, with a camera upstairs. Obviously I can get the sound down there pretty easily, but am unsure what my best bet for the camera is... I'm thinking maybe just fishing a long RCA cable?

I don't have time to order from online, and my resources locally are limited at best...

• Members

Depends on how long the run is, and what the output of the camera and input of the projector is. I wouldn't run consumer grade RCA cables too far, but if you get some good BNC cable, it's usually good for 150' or more before you need to throw an amp in line. 

• Members

What you're trying to do is by no means difficult, but given the limited experience and time constraints, I would contact a local security company with experience in video surrveliance.  Something like this (base band video from camera to display) is a walk in the park for them and can easily be accomplished for a temporary situation.  Not to mention they should have everything needed to do so.  You might mention your location.  Someone here might willing to lend a hand.

• Members

We use VGA to ethernet adapters to send video over 600' of CAT-6 cable. Works well. Cable on a spool is easy to manage.

I'd give a call to another local A/V house and see if you can cross-rent some of their video distro.

• Members

Mogwix wrote:

We use VGA to ethernet adapters to send video over 600' of CAT-6 cable. Works well. Cable on a spool is easy to manage.

I'd give a call to another local A/V house and see if you can cross-rent some of their video distro.

600'? What resolution are you capable of and how soft does it look? I can see issues at ~1280x800 at 300' with a quality Geffen active extender with video eq. Better at 200' but still noticeable to a video guy IMO.

Archived