X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple Mic Gain on Behringer XENYX802

Whats the best way to set mic gain on any inexpensive mixer? I have a Behringer XENYX 802 and a Shure wired mic. I havn't really played around with mics before so I want to make sure I don't have any hiss on the output, and want to make sure I don't clip anything.

On my mixer I have the usual level controls at the bottom, but I also have a "gain" knob under the mic input that goes from -10 to +40.

[img]http://www.soundhouse.co.jp/shop/prod_img/b/behringer_xenyx802_l.jpg[/img]

Should I set it like the normal gain structure, meaning set level to unity, than bring up the mic gain untill clipping occours and than back it down a notch for added room? Is there a better method? Also should I just talk into it to get my levels or use another method?

You want to set the trim gain with the pfl button engaged and send a signal down the mic that is likely to Be the loudest point. Then you know it will not clip when this happens. Then set your slider to unity.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.paradoxband.co.uk" target="_blank">www.paradoxband.co.uk</a></div>

Comment

• nchangin
      nchangin commented
      Editing a comment

Have you looked in the manual for the mackie? Normally it's pretty detailed on setting your mic gain.

Folks he using a little Behr, and PFL where would that be on that mixer?

With your master down, talk or sing as loudly as you can until you get a channel clip light. Back it off from there and you're done. Just pay attention to your master levels from that point.

Comment

• loudsubz
      loudsubz commented
      Editing a comment
      should the channel level be at unit (0db - 12 oclock) or completely off?
Working...
X