Speaker Cable Gauge Question

• Members

I currently have two 12 gauge speaker wires, a couple of 14 gauge wires, and a slew of 16 gauge wires in a mono live performance application. I typically run one of the 12 gauge wires from one 700 watt channel of a QSC PLX3402 to an 18" sub. I run the other 12 gauge wire from the other channel of the amp to the first main, and daisy-chain to another main using a 14 gauge wire. Here's my question(s):

Does running the 12 gauge to the first main, then using a 14 gauge wire to connect the first main to a second main present any sonic issues, such as causing the first main to be louder than others?

Does this cause any thermal issues?

Given the currently available wires, would it be better to step down to a 14 gauge for the sub, and use the other 12 gauge for the second main?

Would there be any similar issues if on those rare occasions when I need 4 mains, I end up using mixing in 16 gauge wires to the other mains?

Thanks in advance for any insight, or suggestions.

• Members

MrLeadFoot wrote:

I currently have two 12 gauge speaker wires, a couple of 14 gauge wires, and a slew of 16 gauge wires in a mono live performance application. I typically run one of the 12 gauge wires from one 700 watt channel of a QSC PLX3402 to an 18" sub. I run the other 12 gauge wire from the other channel of the amp to the first main, and daisy-chain to another main using a 14 gauge wire. Here's my question(s):

Does running the 12 gauge to the first main, then using a 14 gauge wire to connect the first main to a second main present any sonic issues, such as causing the first main to be louder than others?

Given the currently available wires, would it be better to step down to a 14 gauge for the sub, and use the other 12 gauge for the second main?

Would there be any similar issues if on those rare occasions when I need 4 mains, I end up using mixing in 16 gauge wires to the other mains?

as far as the mains, the difrence should be minimal if the cable is under 10 ft. Keep that 12 guage on the subs at all times! 

• Members

A.M.Productions wrote:

MrLeadFoot wrote:

as far as the mains, the difrence should be minimal if the cable is under 10 ft.
 Keep that 12 guage on the subs at all times! 

Thanks for emphatically telling me to keep the 12 gauge on the sub. That means something to me. :-)

I should have clarified lengths. Typical run to the first main is 20-25 feet. Same from the first main to the second main. Now, what do you think?

• Members

Not much difference even between 12 and 16 gauge to a single subwoofer 25 ft. away. Of course, I will keep the 12 gauge on the sub since I already have it, but nice to know I can shave alot of carrying weight and continuing to use the skinnier wires on everything else, unless I run low impedance over a considerable distance. ;-)

Archived