OT The rattlesnake stole the brides thunder

• Members

Did a DJ gig last night (yeah, yeah I know but the $$$ was good) at a ranch in the high desert area of N.CA where I live. It was an outdoor wedding with a nice crowd, nice location. While everyone is eating and toasting the new couple, two of the kids who were there had gone "rattlesnake hunting" in the nearby hills...............they succeeded !!!!!!!!! while the bride was in her glory of enjoying her moment and all the attention, here come these kids with a 4' rattler (dead) on the end of a fishing pole!!

Initially I think the crowd thought it was a prank with a rubber toy snake. Once they realized it was real, about a third of the attendees left their tables to see the snake. Impressive snake, 11 buttons on the rattles. The boys then proceeded to carry the snake by hand over to the bride who while not frightened, really didn't appreciate the side show.

Other than that, a fairly normal evening

• Members

as someone whoes done a few great gigs on ranches in nor cal and central valley, we do all we can to remove harm from families with small kids who might not know any better. your attitude seems very environmentally friendly, but frankly not a very humanitarion response. rattlers tend to love bass so they hang out near the stage, and they need to be removed otherwise the oblivious teen age dancers and there six year old younger ciblings risk being bit, why you think that would be in any way ok is totally beyond me.

i love ranch gigs, the organizers usually want you to have as good a time as they are, and the food is usually great. plus during set up, you can really give your system the beans and find all the limits and potential problems, unlike in a venue or outside in a city with noise constraints.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

Did a DJ gig last night (
yeah, yeah I know
but the $$$ was good) 

Now that this is all off topic and all....

I was once part of the crowd who had little but snark involving DJs and the like. And then I started to truly appreciate and desire dance. Now my heart is in house music, and I go out to dance. Good DJs read the crowd far more than a good band will. That's part of the schtik. 

My theory is that the majority peope who disregard DJ's musical merit aren't dancers and dance is not a majority priority. Of course there's salsa, samba, funk or disco bands holding it down, but most bands aren't meant for REALLY dancing. 

DJs seem to have the reputation for not knowing anything about live sound. Maybe that's true for lower level DJs. The same can be said for most musicians. I think there's a very similar ratio of hacks to pros in both musicians and DJs in all aspects. The only exception being that a hack DJ can hide their true nature a tiny bit better than musicians. 

• Members

I'm gonna go way OT here so reader beware

modulusman wrote:

Too bad the little bastards didn't get bit. I really don't understand why people feel the need to kill snakes.

I'd rather not have little ones get bit but I agree with you. It always really bothers me when people kill snakes. It's easy for me I guess, since I live in Canada and nothing here is poisonous.

With that said, I'm completely the opposite of dogs. I hate dogs and won't so much as blink an eye to kill them when they're aggressive.

Everyone thinks I'm weird. go figure.

Archived