Sound check mistakes

• Members

I've seen this 3 times in the past month. I typically set up and run the system at one of my regular gigs. They get 1000-2000 people at these gigs . The system is definitely too small but there are db level constraints in place.

So, on all 3 of these gigs a guest engineer has come to mix the band. All nice guys. Last night the engineer was the monitor guy for major 70s rock band who doesn't have the original singer...we'll keep it at that. Young guy though...which means nothing. He did sort of delight in ordering me around. " bad cable, go fix it" "drummer needs an extension cord",etc..

Anyhow I have watched all 3 of these guys sound check their way into a dynamic corner by doing the typical check drums first and get thundering drums. Sure they sounded great. 20 minutes on drums... He was hitting the system limiter on the floor Tom! All faders were up. No room for vocals and guitars which made for a midrange mess since he just pushed up the rest of the band into the comps . I watched/listened to all 3 guys do that. None of them were willing to pull down what they decided was a great drum sound. People came up complaining about not hearing the singing. Great bands all too. A shame.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let them get that great drum sound just make sure its on a sub group (s) so you can pull the whole mix down when they aren't looking? :-)

I have a digital board and just put the drum kit on a fader group. Get what I need for the kit then move on to the next.

Douglas R. Allen 

• Members

It's not a technical problem, or a problem that's going to be solved with technology, or a different console, etc.

It's a judgement problem, not understanding what the problem really is and not having the "smarts" to work with the situation rather than against it. To those of us who are experienced, and seasoned, it's a plain rookie mistakethat's made by some older "rookies" too. I also see it, and it generally comes along with a sourness towards anything or anybody who might help. It's damn the torpedos and full speed ahead, inspite of the beach.

• Members

it's funny how sometimes the tribute bands take things so seriously. I can't really say that any of the tribute band BEs have ever been that good. "We'll, our guy knows where all the solos are, effects we like and drum sounds like the original". Yea, I pretty much know when the solo is or production value on an Eagles song... I don't remember "life in the fast lane" having that big of a kick, snare or that overdriven guitar tone! Lol

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

On large stages with drapes, the back and side wall reflections no longer exist.

That may be the perfect setting for the 950 Leslie. 200 watts and 4 - 12" speakers with 4 of the 825 styrofoam rotors sending the sound straight sideways towards two 45 degree baffles turning all that sound towards the audience. It's an amazing sound and very unlike any of the other Leslies. But I still doubt that it would fit through most doors.

Archived