Jbl mpro 418 or yamaha...

• Members

I can grab a pair of 418's for $600 or yamaha sw118v for $400.

I have heard a single 418 last week in bar setting and it sounded great. I have mixed live sound with my buddies old sw118's (probably 1st run) and it sounded great.

I know the sw118's can go pretty low but I've read numerous posts praising them or saying they have no volume or fart out when pushed. I'll be doing indoor and outdoor stuff for 100-200 people. I need to stay in $500-600 range.

Jbl is 4ohm and cabs are better from what I hear. My guy tells me jbl for the long term but I did like the sound of the yamaha and the V has more power handling than previous models.

• Members

basically any decent sub with a properly sized amp, with the right Xover will do what you need granted you know how to make it do so... given the setup stuff, it's still up to your ear to get it working well.

Even though it is less power, i'd put the RX on subs. GX on tops. the GX and plx4 amps never seemed to impress me on subs. 

• Members

sants wrote:

Also I could push the budget and grab a pair of community s215s. I hear great things on these.

Not a bad box. Very stable for a SoS setup, but obviously not great for smallish stages. I wish they had a pole socket on the small side. If used on the side they have a smaller footprint than an 1x18" box, but then it's more of a tip hazard.

• Members

I think I'd go MPro418 over S215S or S118v if it were me. The JBLs are the lightest of the bunch... and likely the loudest with the same amp running them. It's too bad that the EV ELX118 is kinda lame... still, you could probably get a used pair within your budget if you can find 'em... and they'd match your tops.

Where are you... geographically?

• Members

sants wrote:

How do you guys feel about peavey sp118 compared to the mp418 and sw118v?

SP118 isn't bad (later versions have better driver and more power handling BTW)... but I'd stay away from the PV118 like the one that just popped up on your CL. They are definitely a step below the SP. FWIW - A really cheap way to add a sub also just popped up near you on CL... the Yorkville Y118P. It'll supposedly do 124dB maxSPL with only 200W, but in strictly non-EDM setting it'd get you some lo-notes in your FOH mix for cheap... albeit not with much authority.

sant -  You see these JBLs?!? I'd go with that pair of PRX418S if you can stretch that budget. Basically 2/3 cost of new w/ free poles & cables.

EDIT to the EDIT: Or, you could go with one Yorkville LS2100P and not have to think about buying subs ever again. (It's also over 200lb... ouch!)

• Members

I had a chance to listen to the yamahas and while they have deep bass, they don't have the punch I'm looking for. I'd rather have tight and punchy vs deep and boomy.

I found some used yorkville es808's for $375 each however, one looks like the speaker has a 3" voicecoil. Ill dig more into them.

From what I have read it seems the es/ls808 and ls 608 may be what I'm looking for. Is $1000 decent for a clean set ls608's with covers?

Then I'm back debating between the 808 or 608.

I'm looking for best bang for my buck with a two sub setup to be used indoors or out. I will hopefully add on down the road but that may be a long time

Any yorkville dealers on here?

Archived