My own mixer onstage: how get into PA?

• Members

I'm wanna play a few shows with the following inputs running into my own little mixer onstage.

My guitar into DI box (with speaker cab emulation) into the XLR input of mixer.

My computer into the aux input of the mixer, output set to main mix.

Then, I wanna send the output of my mixer from the stage to the house PA.

Can I run a guitar cable from the Left mains output of the mixer into a DI box which is connected to the house PA?  Or is a speaker cab cable better for this use?

Or, is this a situation where I plug the house's snake into the Left mains output of my mixer?

• Members

Mains output from on-stage mixer (XLR cable) into the house snake. FOH will take that line level signal and run it through the house system. (I am assuming you do not have a "powered" mixer sending an amplified speaker level signal out of the mains.) Don't use a TS speaker cable for line level connections. Mark C.

• Members

Miko Man wrote:

Mains output from on-stage mixer (XLR cable) into the house snake. FOH will take that line level signal and run it through the house system. (I am assuming you do not have a "powered" mixer sending an amplified speaker level signal out of the mains.) Don't use a TS speaker cable for line level connections. Mark C.

Thanks, but the mains output of my mixer is

• Members

I'm no pro sound guy, but I imagine you'll be able to get away with a balanced TRS to XLR cable into the snake. The one caveat being that you will create a ground loop if the mixer connects signal ground to chassis ground. I had a cheap DJ mixer years ago that did that. Presumably Behringer does not do this!

I plug the TRS out of my keyboard amp/mixer to FOH snake all the time without a transformer. Make sure the house tech knows what you're doing, he'll probably want the input trim on that channel down to zero.

• Members

Lots of great replies, thanks everyone!

So the output of my mixer is definitely an unbalanced TRS 1/4 out; the manual says so.

I created mono mixes for all my backing tracks, so there should be no problem running my ipod/computer into the RCA inputs, correct?

As for output, I'm going to run a GUITAR CABLE from the LEFT mains output into a passive DI box and into the house PA.

I'm resorting to this strategy because I'm playing a few shows where the house has a PA but no sound guy; also, I'm playing a few gigs where they do have a sound guy, but no sound check.  All they do is plug n' chug, so if the mix is ****, the sound guy won't do anything, because he's outside smoking a cigarette.

At least this way, I can get a decent mix at home, then apply those settings at the gig and it'll be workable.  Won't be perfect, but better than risking it.

Archived