Engineer vs. Sound Tech

• Members

Heard this discussion many times and don't have a firm handle on it from others. To my mind, a sound engineer knows the theory, math, and physics for why a sound system performs like it does. A sound tech can turn it on and make the best of what he has, but may not know the science behind it. It is similar to the difference between a FOH guy and an A1. An A1 that has good ears can be a good engineer. A FOH guy without the the science won't make a good A1.

Good question that is often asked. Since I don't have an engineering background, I never tell people I am a sound engineer because I don't think I have enough grasp of the physics. I know just enough to get the show done, but I am not going to design a system for the Mormon Tabernacle anytime soon. I know my limits.

I think to many people use the terms interchangeably. The best sorting: apply for a job at Clair and they will tell you which one you are rather quickly.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

When throwing titles around , what do you guys think makes the difference between the two?

I feel they are both nothing more than designations.....usually a bands sound person is referred to as an engineer while the sound company's sound people that are touring with the rig are referred to as sound techs (such as FOH tech, monitor tech, etc)

• Members

Axisplayer wrote:

It is similar to the difference between a FOH guy and an A1. An A1 that has good ears can be a good engineer. A FOH guy without the the science won't make a good A1.

I believe A1 and A2 are originally theatrical terms that have more to do with pay rate than skill. A1 refers to FOH or monitor engineer and A2 refers to various techs such as RF wranglers

• Members

Many fields of engineering do not require or even offer a specific PE license. The PE was originally based on the construction industry, and Civil, Mechanical, Structural (specialty) and some Electrical, typically required a PE to review and approve designs by non-PE's within the same office or design group.

When I graduated with my degree in Electrical and also Agricultural Engineering, the only guys who took the PE exam (after the EIT exam) were those going into large scale power distribution for the construction and utility industries. Since my area of specialty was industrial power & controls and analog circuit systems, there was no need, nor was there any specific exam for my specialty. Since I graduated from a USA accredited university with degrees in engineering, I am legally allowed to call myself an engineer, though not a licensed professional engineer.

Other fields that you don't see PE's in include BioMedical, Chemical (though this may be changing), Agricultural, Electrical & Computer (ECE), etc.

Archived