Bill Fitzmaurice Plans

• Members

I have researched his stuff online, and I have seen comments from pro people that his boxes are not that great.

A bit of over rating lets just say.

Lets look at his high pacs shall we?

Nothing special horn loaded boxes with piezo arrays for high end? 

Really?

• Members

if the archives arent lost forever, there was a great thread on his designs that went on for ages, but i dont even know where to begin looking for that anymore, i really dont like this forum upgrade, though i do like the fact it works now heh.

• Members

If you want to build something that makes you feel like a real man but shows to real men that you aren't, those are the ones to build.

Those who build them slap each other on the back about how smart they are and how dumb the rest of the world is.

NOT

• Members

I have built the OmniTop 12 and Titan 39. I am also in the process of building a LAB 12 Tapped Horn plan from DIY Audio so I can get an idea and compare them when I am done.

The cabs don't sound bad, but they are also nothing out of this world. I was skepticle about the piezo array at first but it doesn't sound bad when you run a little EQ through it. (They are harsh without EQ).

I agree though that SOME of the members who build them really go nuts and if you even mention a bad word about their designs on the site you will be shunned lol

I woulnd't go as far as agedhorse mentioned, but it can be along those lines. The plans are easy to follow but don't kid yourself, a table saw and other tools are really alot easier to work with than the saw sled and circular saw he mentions you can build with in the plans.

• Members

The lab sub is an a completely different class.

Note that with these horn designs, often the specs are indicated in clusters of 4 which is misleading unless clearly noted. Also, the comparisons stating that the BFM csbinets with some of the front loaded commercial products are just absurd and the conclusions insulting to those who understand the science behind the measurements.

• Members

Many years ago I built 4 of his Snail 2's. A 15 woofer in a horn loaded box with the ports ducted to the mouth4 snail 2's.JPG. Built them right to a T with recommended drivers. I ended up with about 1 - 2 dbs more output than a single 18 sub. They would go a little lower all 4 coupled but the cone excursion would max out pretty quickly as well. Fun and a good learning project but I could have spent my time/money on other projects.

4 snail 2's insides.JPG

Dookietwo

• Members

We have built 6 of the DR300 cabinets to go over 8 of our Danley LAB horn subs. We have had pretty good luck with the configuration so far. Are they the best cabinets out there? No, not by a long shot but they aren't as pathetic as some people would have you believe. Andy and I have had this discussion and agreed that, hey, if they work for your needs then that is what is important.

I think one of the biggest problems with DIY cabinets that are at the top of the cabinetry skill scale is that if you don't know what you are doing and build them improperly you are fighting a losing battle. My opinion is the cabinet is only as good as the cabinet builder. I think anyone that has built any would probably agree. We don't claim to be master builders of course but my partner is definitely closer to that than anyone i have met. We made some minor changes to the design and overall they turned out very well and didn't need an awful amount of EQ to get them flat. They are pretty efficient and are best used in multiples for sure.

As far as advertised numbers and claims, I don't believe anything until I hear or experience it for myself.

• Members

I donated a driver to Craig's effort, the results were just about as crappy as expected. I also had the opportunity to put a bfm system through my analysis lab and compared with the srx-700 series I used as a reference (BFM claimed his cabinets stomped the jbl's) which were vastly superior in just about all aspects. Yes, they make a lot of noise, my chainsaw also makes a lot of noise.

The claims are just absurd in my professional opinion.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I donated a driver to Craig's effort, the results were just about as crappy as expected. I also had the opportunity to put a bfm system through my analysis lab and compared with the srx-700 series I used as a reference (BFM claimed his cabinets stomped the jbl's) which were vastly superior in just about all aspects. Yes, they make a lot of noise, my chainsaw also makes a lot of noise.

The claims are just absurd in my professional opinion.

Yep, I found the thread last night and read through it.

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

Many years ago I built 4 of his Snail 2's. A 15 woofer in a horn loaded box with the ports ducted to the mouth
4 snail 2's.JPG
. Built them right to a T with recommended drivers. I ended up with about 1 - 2 dbs more output than a single 18 sub. They would go a little lower all 4 coupled but the cone excursion would max out pretty quickly as well. Fun and a good learning project but I could have spent my time/money on other projects.

4 snail 2's insides.JPG

Dookietwo

nIce work 

Archived