"Houston, We Have A Problem" Mackie board took a dump....

• Members

So...we're doing a gig Saturday night and during the 3rd set we notice some loud popping and volume swells coming through the FOH. Monitors we fine. Finally, the FOH sounds like a big rush of noise and hum. Our soundman immediately pulls down the main mix. We take a break and I'm looking at the board. The main led's are lighting up and peaking in the red. We pull down each channel 1x1, we pull down the sub group faders, and we unplug the snake, and the board is still lit up and peaking.

We are running a Mackie 1604-VLZ Pro. Any thoughts on what might cause this? Obviously, it's not a DYI fix, but wondering if the board is shot or worth repairing.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Several likely causes, including bad ribbon cable, but also I have seen  this twice with a bad power supply (failing).

The problem with this is thatthe board probably isn't worth the cost of repair (to repair it right).

You've got that right. I've had ribbon cable issues that I've had repaired, or on a different unit, I've reseated myself. In both cases the problem (or perhaps another) resurfaced. On one mixer it's a cable issue to the FX - no big, but if it was a main output then that would be bad.

• Members

Old Fart Rocker wrote:

So...we're doing a gig Saturday night and during the 3rd set we notice some loud popping and volume swells coming through the FOH. Monitors we fine. Finally, the FOH sounds like a big rush of noise and hum. Our soundman immediately pulls down the main mix. We take a break and I'm looking at the board. The main led's are lighting up and peaking in the red. We pull down each channel 1x1, we pull down the sub group faders, and we unplug the snake, and the board is still lit up and peaking.

My question is what did you tell the venue? Did you have to stop the rest of the show? :(

• Members

nchangin wrote:

Old Fart Rocker wrote:

My question is what did you tell the venue? Did you have to stop the rest of the show?
:(

No, we kept going. The monitors were working, so we turned them around and went with stage volume for the instruments. We only needed to play another 45 minutes. Nobody seemed to notice or care. Place was packed and so was the dancefloor. Ended up being a good night for us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All of My analog boards have steeper hpf's. I prefer between 12 and 24dB/oct depending on what I am trying to do.

Regarding processing power, as you add steepness, additional terms in the filter algorithm must be calculated. Multiply this by multiple channels and it can indeed become a problem.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

--snip--

Regarding processing power, as you add steepness, additional terms in the filter algorithm must be calculated. Multiply this by multiple channels and it can indeed become a problem.

Thanks Andy.  Sounds logical.  So I guess they weren't just shooting me a bunch of horse pucky (as Col. Potter used to say) after all. Still, granted I don't have a clue what kind of processors are used in the SL boards (or any digital board for that matter), given the rediculous amount of CPU we can throw at applications at my day job for minimal $$ it's a shame they didn't build a bit more headroom into the 16.0.2. 

Archived