Speakers at Concerts

• Members

Although my experience is limited, I've noticed there's a lot of powered stuff going into installs these days, which makes sense if you're starting from nothing and there are so many good powered options at myriad price points these days

It's a big decision for a large touring operation with a huge sunk cost in passive systems. I would guess before retiring a perfectly good passive system you'd need to justify it with savings in labor, storage and transport.

• Members

^^^

I agree. Back when there were only a couple of companies building powered speakers, to us a "passive speaker" meant that it was passively crossed over. Versus a biamped speaker that was actively crossed over. Might be a local thing.

• Members

Oh, and to answer the OP, if it's a larger touring act, 9 out of 10 times it will be either L'acoustics, Adamson, d&b, JBL Vertec, or Meyer. Meyer is all powered. Vertec you can get either way, but I see more unpowered rigs than the other way. All the others are unpowered, although I think Adamson's new stuff that's out or just about to come out is powered. L'acoustics and d&b both require you to use their proprietary amps.

Archived