Any thoughts on single vs dual amps for PV 218 Versarray

• Members

Hi All,

I am looking for some feedback, I am going to be selling some gear and moving to the Versarray over the next while. The first move will be subs; I already have a pair of 124's on order and will also be picking up a couple of the 218's. Going through the data on these, they are wired a little differently than the other 218's I have and I am looking for some input on this.

These can either be run in 1x2-18 @ 4 ohms per cab or in 2x1-18 @ 8 ohms per cab; my initial reaction is to run one amp per cab in the 2x1-18 mode so I have some redundancy if I lose an amp. Any thoughts on this? Is there a headroom benefit running the amp at 8 vs 4 ohm? I will be running them very soft for a while (775 @ 8 or 1300 @ 4) but will upgrade power after I have the tops.  

For those of you familiar with the line, I will be eventually moving to the Project 12 layout but will be doing it with 3 VR212 per side instead of the 6 VR112 per side they have in the layout and will be using 1x124 per side as well.

Data sheet link is attached.

http://assets.peavey.com/download.cfm?file=/literature/specs/00584470_6.pdf&name=Versarray_218_Spec_Sheet.pdf

Thanks,

Rob

• Members

LOL....I don't drive my gear that hard, it is just too difficult to try get the magic smoke back inside...

I will probably go with a K8 on them, always liked the PS gear but never had the right system to justify them before...for sure there is no way I can justify a second just as a back up though so was considering going with a couple of K3's running at 8 ohms. This will be late in the year though, just looking for input as I like to chew on things for a while.

• Members

2 amps on a single cabinet is a terrible idea unless each driver has a seperate enclosure within the cabinet. Otherwise, if you have an amp failure, or miswiring, you can tear up both drivers because of driver detuning and unloading..

• Members

Thanks Andy,

I wasn't considering running 2 amps per cab though; was considering running one amp per cab (one channel per driver) or one amp for both cabs. I suppose the same logic holds true though in running one per cab in stereo if one channel were to go down as I don't believe they are seperate chambers per 18 within the cab.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

2 amps on a single cabinet is a terrible idea unless each driver has a seperate enclosure within the cabinet. Otherwise, if you have an amp failure, or miswiring, you can tear up both drivers because of driver detuning and unloading..

I can see a problem if you had amps that were of opposite polarity ... but how could one amp shutting down cause a problem?

Archived