Vocal mic for live gigs

• Members

Hello all, would like to take thoughts about the right mic for me to buy for live performance. I'm essentially a jazz crooner, so what would like is a microphone that sounds warm and natural. I'm using the good old beta sm58, which has been ok but I wonder if there's a better option which would give noticeably improved sound. Thanks for any advice.

• Members

I have been using an Electro-Voice N/D767 vocal mic for the past 14 years. It definitely gives my voice a warmer sound than a Shure Sm 58. Some women even remarked to me that my voice sounded "smooth" and "like a crooner" on a break during our show.

• Members

We have a "natural tenor" male vocalist in our band. He's currently using a Beta58 wireless mic, but I honestly think he sounds better on the Senn E835 that i keep hot on stage in the event that a battery dies in one of our wireless mics. IMHO, the Beta is better at adding some body to his voice than the SM58 that he was using... but there are definitely better mics for that crooner sound.

To my knowledge, I've never heard the N/D767. There's an N/D757 for $50 used up at my local Music Go Round... is it worth picking up to add another flavor to my mic locker?

Archived