Powered sub recommendation needed

• Members

Hi folks,  I want to add a powered sub to my PA.  This will be used primarily for my band, a 5 piece classic country/rockabilly band.  Looking to put the bass and kick through the sub.   I am using Yamaha DSR12's for mains and I LOVE them, crystal clear and even a little bit of bass from the 12s.  We are older dudes and schlepping around heavy gear is something we really want to get away from.  On occasion I will provide sound for other bands similar to my band.  Our split of venues is 50% outdoors and 50 % indoors, usually 200-300 people max.   I would really like to go with a 15".   I know for 18" the QSC KW181 and the JBL 618XLF are the most recommended on the forum.  But not much talk about 15" subs.  I like the idea of 55 versus 80 or 90lbs for a sub.  By the way I am not opposed to an 18" sub, just wanted to get thoughts on a 15" for my application.

Thoughts or recommendations? 

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

QSC has a dual 12" powered sub.

70lbs or so and impressive output for the size.

Right up your alley.

74lbs and >$1100.00 puts them perilously close to the KW181 and PRX618S-XLF (and the new PRX718S-XLF) in both weight and price.

To my ears, the KSub is what people call a "one note wonder".  There isn't much punch to it, but lots of woomp.  I have never cared for the sub myself.  

I also happen to use the XLF's for my subs.  I did some pretty extensive evaluations when I made my purchase.  The KW181 was a contender, but was more expensive.  In all honesty, none of the other subs in this price range were even close.

If weight WEREN'T a problem, the brute force power output winner is the LS801p yorkville.  This thing is a beast .... but is also as heavy as a box cart ;)

If you can get your hands on a pair of XLF's that would be my strongest recommendation (either the 618 or 718).

You should be able to go to your local GC and hear these subs yourself which may help in your decision process.

• Members

I agree with Andy. Mixing brands can result in less than optimal sound. When JBL came out with the PRX series,QSC released the HPR series. I bought the QSC's because they sounded flat where the PRX had a peak in the high end. I liked the sound of the QSC's and bought 4 for monitor duty. A friend went the PRX route. We tried my tops with his 618 subs and something just didn't sound right. The PRX 612's were audibly a better match. I mentioned it in here and someone mentioned the internal processing. Made sense the more I thought about it. I know an EQ helped but it just seemed that they wouldn't play well with each other.

• Members

Aged,  yes and to your point  last Fall  I went ahead and purchased the DSR118W  tried it out at a gig.  I thought the sub was very musical with being punchy or overdriving - good for our style.  But after lugging that thing up and down a flight of stairs @90lbs, it went back in the box and back to GC.  I'm 59 years old and my back tells me go lighter young man.  This is why I'm looking to see if anyone has good experiences with the lighter subs, most of them being 15s.  RoadRanger mentioned the new XLF series from JBL, and they have a 15" in the lineup that could be a fit.   I could also try the Yamaha 15" DXS sub too.  I realize that I am compromising sound for weight but this is the reality I have to deal with. Always trade-offs of some sort.  All of my band members are 55+, so no young buck to do the heavy lifting.

• Members

Thanks All,  lots of good recommendations.  Not sure which way I will go. I do see that the Yamaha DXS15 is 80lbs - this is heavier than I want to go. .  I'm intrigued by the JBL  715XLF 55lbs.  Also the recommendation for the ZXA1 sub.  I'll see if I can get a listen to these at my local (Phila, PA) music shops (GC, Sam Ash).  

Archived