Ramsdell "RoadRanger" monitors

• Members

That's a pretty significant high pass IMO, 1/4-power at 100Hz relative to the midrange. Not going to cut it except for raw voice under (very) non-critical applications IMO. You will want to high pass them pretty steep around 100Hz too, otherwise you will place a lot more thermal stress than you might imagine.

• Members

I'll only have about 200WRMS for each. The prototype was run at 117dbC @ 6 feet for a while with a bit more power than that and recorded music with no HPF. The XLS series amps I'll probably be using with them has an adjustable frequency 24db/octave LR HPF. Rick thought they'd suck but he's pretty happy that he made them now that he's tested one out :-) . They have such a low internal volume that their power rating isn't displacement limited. Being sealed they have a smooth rolloff at 6db/octave vs a ported box's 12db/octave. Anyways they are a niche design that 99% of yous guys won't have any use for :cool:.

• Members

With 200 watts, you will really want to use the HPF.

The tradeoff if -6dB/octave but starting MUCH higher. The energy under the -10dB down useable (desired) spectrum curve is typically between 3 and 6dB less on a sealed cabinet with small internal volume. Displacement isn't going to be the problem, but just a hunch is that thermal might be if you go much beyond 200 watts.

• Members

Yah, I'm definitely an advocate of HPFing and have no intentions of ever powering these over 200w. In the 8 piece classic rock band I BE for I usually double up the monitors for the two folks who are a bit hard of hearing (including a retired "A" level soundguy :( ) .

• Members

around here 200 watts on a wedge will get you laughed out onto the parking lot. i know because i run all my wedges around 225 to 250 and get a lot of {censored} about it. apparently the cool thing to do is power clubs at 775 watts and occasionally have a spectacular display of destruction.

i never was one of the cool kids.

oh and death to 150hz applies heavily in my parts. i dont really have a point other than i am frustrated around these people, because you know I am the one doing things wrong.

i'm going on vacation for 8 days saturday morning (tomorrow) and wont be doing any audio or internet, or television.

• Members

do you mean minot? its horrible there, absolute destruction and total loss, yet the feds are not going to help as of yet or ever it looks like. gotta love those feds, ND is one of two states that is not in the red so we will make do. i'm not near minot, its several hours from here but geez what a fricken mess. fargo is still overland flooded but its manageable at this point.

you want to learn about a total disaster? google devils lake ND. total frickfrak mess that is.

i want out of the bar scene so bad i can taste it. if i never went to another bar in my life i would be fine with that. i hate bars, every one of them and most of the folks in them.

• Members
i want out of the bar scene so bad i can taste it. if i never went to another bar in my life i would be fine with that. i hate bars, every one of them and most of the folks in them.

Maybe the stepped-up enforcement of DUI laws hereabouts has skimmed off the worst of that lot - IME if you stay away from the places with "stoopid loud" bands the bars here are relatively cool these days.

• Members

the ones i frequent are becoming meat markets and are run by kids half my age who think they know everything, yet know nothing at all. one bar is run by an old codger that literally is near 80 and he is kind of a crook, we know he's stiffed us a few times because we have a "secret door person" with a clicker.

mostly its just the attitude i cant stand, that somehow anything that happens in a bar could be the least bit important or even remembered tomorrow; it wont. no one gives a {censored} about anything that happens in a bar.

• Members

Yep. I get to drive along the path of the EF4 tornado we had a couple weeks back every day - missed me by about 5 miles. I actually spent a summer once living at that campground that got the worst of it - path was 1/2 mile wide there. My mom was at her high school graduation party in '53 when one when through her town in MA. My present house was high enough to survive the flood of '55 - tornadoes you can't do anything to avoid but I try not to live places that risk flooding.

• Members

around here 200 watts on a wedge will get you laughed out onto the parking lot. i know because i run all my wedges around 225 to 250 and get a lot of {censored} about it. apparently the cool thing to do is power clubs at 775 watts and occasionally have a spectacular display of destruction.

I had a guy renege on two of my XTI-1000 poweramps because they wouldn't be enough power, he currently runs all XTI-4000s for them. We're talking a bar band that plays likely to 75-150.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

RR monitors in action:

RRMWRC.jpg

There's actually a fifth one in the front string out-of-frame and the drummer has a second on the other side. This was a "15 minute changeover" situation so only two feeds used powered by a DCM1000. Note the guitarist is playing through two full stacks :freak: .

• Members

RR monitors in action:

RRMWRC.jpg

There's actually a fifth one in the front string out-of-frame and the drummer has a second on the other side. This was a "15 minute changeover" situation so only two feeds used powered by a DCM1000. Note the guitarist is playing through two full stacks
:freak:

Five monitors on one feed? What are they 32ohms each?

• Members
Five monitors on one feed? What are they 32ohms each?

Hey, you win the prize for observation :D . They are 8 ohms and the fifth one is kinda pushin' that 2 ohm rated amp. In the bad old days I used to run three 8 ohm monitors off of a 4 ohm rated mono amp but stuff was built a bit more stout back then ;) .

• Members
I just figured you were using multi-wire Speakon. A single 8-wire Speakon split off at the amp end would do well for that setup.

Actually I did have all four conductors wired thru so eventually I can run 4 conductor cables to the first 2-4 in a string and use a 2 conductor cable wired +-2 to +-1 to get the remaining monitors in the string on the other channel of the amp. Most amps have a speakon that carries both channels. In retrospect 8 conductor speakons would have allowed me four mixes across the front but then that gets expensive and everything would be non-standard if someone wanted to rent my monitors. This way they are 100% normal :) .

• Members

Well those look convenient, may I ask how much?

I paid $280 each plus shipping but may have gotten a deal because I bought eight. Prices are crazy these days on neo but these aren't neo so should be about the same - email them at email@ramsdellproaudio.com .

That picture doesn't show their small and tasteful badge but is otherwise the finished product. They are surprisingly heavy for their size but still under 25 lbs. Their weight makes them stay put well but it's still easy to carry them two at a time :) .

• Members

I paid $280 each plus shipping but may have gotten a deal because I bought eight. Prices are crazy these days on neo but these aren't neo so should be about the same - email them at
email@ramsdellproaudio.com

That picture doesn't show their small and tasteful badge but is otherwise the finished product. They are surprisingly heavy for their size but still under 25 lbs. Their weight makes them stay put well but it's still easy to carry them two at a time
:)

How are they sounding Ron?

Archived