Monitor suggestions to go with JBL PRX system

• Members

Currently, I have...

2 JBL PRX 512

1 JBL PRX 718

I would like to add a pair powered monitors.  My budget is $500-600.  I'm wondering if I would be better of buying something like a used pair of JBL EONs, a single EV ZXA1 or QSC K10, or even something like a pair of Alto SXM 112A which are more of traditional monitors.

Initially, the monitor is going to be used with an acoustic duo so I can get by with 1 (or none).  But, down the road I would like to use this stuff for full band stuff (everything but death metal).  Any other recommendations are also welcomed.  My budget is pretty firm. 

IF I could find used stuff locally then that would dictate what I do, but I've been checking for the last two months and haven't seen anything powered other than a pair of Behringers.  I'd probably pull the trigger if it was a great deal, but it's not.

• Members

For that price you're pretty much limited to a pair of B212D's if buying new. For an acoustic duo B208D or B210D's would also be fine. If you're a Behringer hater you're pretty much out-of-luck. Alto is no better than Behringer or Peavey IMO.

• Members

I'd actually prefer used, but I'd have to go on Ebay.

I bought the stuff I currently have to use with the last cover band I was playing with, but the band leader preferred to use his Yamaha Clubs and old Peavey SP2s so I am hesitant to spend a lot of money for the monitors when the chances of me getting it back are slim to none.  The JBLs do sound good though, so atleast front of house will sound good.  I also wouldn't mind having a pair of cheaper speakers I can take to house parties and stuff like that where if something happens to them I won't be pissed and it won't kill my wallet. 

For the acoustic duo, I figure at first we will probably get by without any monitors.  I just want to make sure what I do get will work with an electric band so I don't think 8 inch speakers are really an option.  In the full band application the monitors will be primarily for vocals and a little bit of keys and guitar... no drums in them.

• Members

A band I work with has a PRX PA system, and uses the Alto TS112A powered wedges.  I was very surprised how loud they can get, and with a little EQ, how good they sounded.  Don't know how much the SMX wedges are, but the ALTOs can be had pretty reasonable.  I'd give both models serious consideration. 

• Members

Well, a pair of MRX  512s popped up on craigslist... could probably get them for $500.  On the positive side, they're good speakers and fit with what I currently have (PRX stuff).  On the negative side, they're not powered so it would be kind of a step back.  I do currently have a 16 channel powered Carvin mixer that I plan to use, but down the line I'd like to get a non-powered Yamaha or Peavey board.

Am I crazy for passing on these things?  I suppose I could keep using the powered Carvin board. 

• Members

OK... I got a follow on question.

Is it a good idea to mix the PRX 512 and PRX 718 with a PRX 612 still using the internal crossover in the sub?   For the duo thing we won't be using the sub, but eventually I will get back into the full band thing using the single sub.  I can't find any PRX 512, but the PRX 612 still seem to be available.  I could pick up one for now as a monitor for the duo and one down the road?  Good thinking?

• Members

MeerkatSound wrote:

I personally I like keeping all the boxes the same and look for more PRX.

The PRX512m has the better monitor angle, the PRX600m and PRX700m should have a piece of Audio Wood along side it (especially on tight stages).

I'm probably over thinking things.... if you can use the other boxes I mentioned with the PRX512 and PRX718, then why couldn't you use the PRX612?  I guess I will look into picking one up within the next week.

Archived