Mackie SRM450 v1 to Yamaha DXR10

• Members

Will the DXR10 sounds better and louder than the mackies? From spec alone, the DXR10 can get to 131 dB while the mackies can get to 127 dB, so I suppose the DXR is louder. I have no problem with the mackie, just the spike on the HF when pushed, but the main purpose for upgrade is to get a lighter, louder and better sounding speaker. The small footprint on the DXR10 also intrigued me as I will mostly use it for monitor. So what do you guys think? How big of an event can the DXR10 cover? 100-300 people? If I am using the DXR10 as mains for 200+ people event, I will paired it up with my LS801p subwoofer so the DXR10 won't have to handle too much LF. Can the DXR10 paired up well with the LS801p?

• Members

The DXR10 is smoother up top, but I don't believe it will get noticeably louder than the 450 in spite of what the specs might say. Also, the more compact DXR10 (with its smaller woofer and cabinet) likely won't have as much beef in the lower frequencies at higher levels IF used full range. Hi passed with a sub such as the 801P, both 450 and DXR10 will likely do OK, but I'm not convinced either will keep up at max SPLs the 801P is capable of. The DXR might sound better at higher levels though. THe 450 is known to be a little harsh up top. 

Al  

• Members

First, SPL specs are nearly useless.  The method of measurement is hardly ever specified (especially in this price range of speakers), and even if it were, 140db of crap is still crap ;)

Second, the LS801P is a seriously loud sub.  A DXR10 will not be able to keep up with it, but it will sound fine until it runs out of gas.

Third,

Since SPL is an across the board number for loudness, it doesn't tell you nearly as much as you think.

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighting_filter and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_level_meter

Most SPL meters will not accurately weight the sound equally.  Even for the filter D ones that do take into account lower frequencies more evenly, a high SPL number can simply mean that there is TONS of HF ice pick in the ear noise which scews the reading higher.

Finally,

A surprising amount of mid low frequency comes from your tops (>90Hz).  These frequencies have most of the bass tone, and also the punch associated with the kick drum and toms.  Having a decent woofer in your tops will have a very noticable effect on your sound.

When my band is playing, my DSR112 tops put out tons of punch (crossed over at 90hz by the PRX618S-XLF).  So much so that you can feel the air move in front of the speaker.  I think you lose some of that punch when you move to a 10" speaker (in the same brand and class of speaker).

Also, as a rule of thumb, 3 db additional SPL would be "noticeable", 10 db would be perceived as "twice as loud".

• Members

Although I've never directly compared them to a DXR cab, I've run SRM450s with the peak lights flashing away many times  - and they go seriously loud for a cab of this type. I highly doubt that a DXR10 could approach it's levels if both were running flat out. I think you'd probably have to move up to a DSR12 to accomplish that in a Yamaha cab.

I have directly compared a 450 to a M-Audio GSR12 when both were playing music at limit. The 450 just blew the GSR12 away. It was like the GSR12 wasn't even on. The GSR12 is listed as having a peak SPL of 127dB - same as the Mackie. That's how much faith you can put in max SPL numbers in manufacturer's spec sheets.

• Members

Oops pressed the send button by accident =X

I too have driven the 450 pretty hard, while they are pretty loud, there is a very harsh high freq that pierced to the ear. I have a pair of ev sxa250 and they can get pretty loud, but the sound is still smooth, there is no harshness to it. I also forgot to mention that I rarely pushed my speakers to its limit.

So, can anyone give me just an approximate on big of an event that the dxr can cover? 100-200 people indoor with full band (guitar, vocal, drums, keyboard and bass)?

Archived