Mixing Bose and JBL

• Members

Someone got a wild hair up their butt and decided that we should blend a Bose L system with JBL system. I'm not against trying things. Not exactly sure how it would be best to connect them together. Suggestions?

• Members

WynnD wrote:

Someone got a wild hair up their butt and decided that we should blend a Bose L system with JBL system. I'm not against trying things. Not exactly sure how it would be best to connect them together. Suggestions?

If you tell me the exact Bose components that you have to work with - and tell me the layout of your band - and what you want the L1 to do, I could probably give you some decent direction.  You can PM me if you prefer.

• Members

Basically our singer decided to go out into the audience and immediately tell me that he needed to come up. Followed by telling me that he needed more, followed by telling me he needed more. About this time the feedback that I had set the PA to not have started coming in. He avoided asking anyone to turn down. (Bad idea. More sound issues are cured by turning something down than be turning something up.) Since then we've added more open mics for horns. We're up to 10 open mics. Guess we could place the FOH on the other side of the room but I don't consider that a viable option. Our Trombone player has a couple of L-1 Model II's that he wants to use to bring the primary vocal up with. We're using a couple of S118 Yamahas and a couple of JBL MRX515s speakers. Recently blew the horns on the JBLs. They're fixed now, but don't want that to happen again. Anyway, I'd like to see the sound level dropped but I might be alone on that. Goal is to get the vocals up without feedback or having to get the band volume down. Be aware that 5 of the 7 vocal mics sing some lead and I don't believe should be down in volume compared to the lead vocal. I know we could get about an extra 10 dbc out of the PA if we just drop nearly all harmonys and extra vocals and get rid of the extra mics. Funny thing is that while I was recooperating in the hospital last year, they handled all the PA responsibilities and when I came back, I couldn't hear anything from the FOH onstage. So I'm guessing that there wasn't much vocals out in the audience then. (Last October.) Wonder how they managed back then? I don't think this will work well, but I'm not against trying anything. Max spl is 118 db. My ZXA1s max out at 126 and the JBL MRX 515s max out at 130. We really shouldn't be running that hot anywhere, but we might have to come down to use the Bose with the system. (I would consider that a good thing even if it's a stupid reason do to it.)

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Will turning the band down still lead to acceptable volume and mix for the audience (not just your preference)?

Absolutely loud enough. We would still be over 95 dbc in the near audience and everywhere in the smaller clubs. As far as the mix goes, we need to get the guitar and bass to back off some. Maybe the drummer a bit too. We're not talking about large changes here. Small ones would be enough. (And we've been asked to turn down by clubs before. That really ought to be taken as more than a small warning.)

Archived