Question on Active Mains with Passive Sub

• Members

I just purchased a pair of RCF ART310A's through Mike Pyle.

Once I receive them I'd like to make the best use of them.

I have a passive sub and monitors. My crossover works but isn't up to the same quality as the amps or the ART310A's.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong on this. 

I plan on getting a DCX2496 once I sell off some other older gear.

Is my best hookup to send separate signals from my MFXi12 to 3 inputs on the DCX and then drop the LF feeding the ART310A's, and then feed 3 outs (1-Sub, 2 Monitor Mixes) to those amps? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

• Members

Gorquin wrote:

[...] My crossover works but isn't up to the same quality as the amps or the ART310A's.

[...] Is my best hookup to send separate signals from my MFXi12 to 3 inputs on the DCX and then drop the LF feeding the ART310A's, and then feed 3 outs (1-Sub, 2 Monitor Mixes) to those amps? Or is there a better way?

What do you have as a crossover now and what's wrong with it?

How about trying the "normal" way of hooking up a crossover - left and right from the mixer in, left high and right high out to the mains, and the summed low out to the sub amp?

• Members

That's how I have it connected now only I'm using 3 amps. 

L + R from the mixer to an EQ to a Behringer Super X Pro CX2310 and then to the mains from the "high" out and "Sub Out" to an NU3000 bridged/mono to a Carvin TRX18n Sub.

I figured I might be adding more noise into the mix by keeping the CX2310 and feeding it into the ART310A's.

I picked the X'over up a while ago used for $50. It works as it should but I figured since I'm going to use the ART310A's the X'over might be a weak link in the chain.

• Members

It's more of a necessity than a fondness for the sub. I have limited cargo space.  There's no way I can fit anything larger than one Carvin sub in my vehicle.  Weight was also an issue as I didn't want to lift 90+lbs of sub into my Jeep Patriot. The TRxN118 only weighs 61lbs. Right now I don't have the funds for something like a Danley TH Mini. The TH Mini is rated at 700W Continuous and the TRxN118 at 800W Continuous. I'm not going to expect the Carvin quality to match the Danley and I don't know how accurate the TRX stats are.

I only run a kick and, when we have one, piano through the sub as well as low level Classic Rock on breaks.

I doubt much else is going through the sub and our FOH volume is not loud. I'm never cranking the NU3000's I use on the mains so I don't anticipate a problem in the near future. If I play larger venues I'll need to address it at that time. 

Archived