No announcement yet.

Allen and Heath Mixwiz monitor mixer vs. Crest

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen and Heath Mixwiz monitor mixer vs. Crest

Any opinions on which of these might be the better unit for doing monitors?

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

I'd give Crest the edge on sound quality, but I think they'll both do the job well.  Pick the one that has the features you need.

B.

Comment

• Tomm Williams
      Tomm Williams commented
      Editing a comment

Mainly curious why the Crest units are so much cheaper. A little less convenient with all in I/O on the bottom but that's not a deal breaker.

Assuming you are talking about the XR monitor versus the MixWiz monitor, iirc the crest is about 2x the price and is substantially more robustly built.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I'm seeing the xr18 for around $1200 with the AH going around $2000. Regardless, if the Crest is a better choice the savings is just a bonus.

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

• agedhorse
        agedhorse commented
        Editing a comment

I think there is a mix-up here... the X18R is not a monitor board, it's a 12 mono + 4 stereo FOH board. There's the "M" version which is distinctly different. You want to compare with the M series which is 12 or 14 mono plus 4 or 2 stereo, monitor version. Note that the stereo inputs include stereo mic pre's.

Yeah, that's the one, built in splitter.

Comment

• FormerlyBassred
        FormerlyBassred commented
        Editing a comment

I've often wondered the same thing. I'm a huge A&H fan, but have seen more of the Crest monitor boards in us in real-life situations. 

Hoobastank has a monitor rack (or had, it's been a few years since I worked that show) with the Crest and a rack full of IEM's. 

I like the idea of having a split so you can run your own monitors (or have your own monitor tech) and everything is easy to get to FOH. 

Working...
    X