• Members

I currently have a pair of peavey impulse 1012's being powered by a qsc gx7. I have been wanting to add subs for quite a while but haven't been able to choose some. I am considering the peavey sp118bx but want to know if those will provide a big enough "punch" so to speak, bass you can feel. Also what amp would be sufficient enough to power these? Should I get an amp with built in DSP instead of a seperate crossover?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

My experience with past versions of those subs is that they are a "just OK" 18" front loaded box. Not bad, but not great. At 114 lbs they are on the heavy side for a passive box. Also they seem rather large for the specs of going to only 49 hz at +/-3 dB. By comparison, my little FBT subs weigh nearly 3X less, are 1/3 the size and have similar specs. That said, you'll certainly notice a significant difference adding these, or any half way decent sub, to your FOH.

As for an amp with DSP or a crossover, either way is fine. Regardless of which you choose, I'd get an amp with a low pass filter. A lot of the DSP amps will have them and some non DSP will too via a manual switch on the back of the amp and pass them at Peavey's recommended 35Hz.

• Members

Nothing wrong with the SP118BX as long as you don't try to push it below 40Hz - get a DBX 223 crossover and engage the 40Hz LPF. You'll realy need two (or an SP218BX) per side to keep up with the 1012's if you need to run it at max. That'll cover ~350 indoors at "rock concert" level.

• Members

Might check out Yorkville LS608 subs pack a nice punch and don't need a power plant to drive them. Can they slam you hard and heavy with a 35Hz bass drops ? no but for your typical weekend warrior bar band that needs some muscle on the sub dept and weight under 90 lbs that are affordable that won't break the bank nor your back.

• Members

I run a fair # of these and also the 218BX subs; the 118BX is a great product and is durable. I have found the Crest CPX3800 is a good match (or the Peavey version, same amp with a different look) at 775 w @ 8 ohms. Rather than go with the 223 (it is solid) I suggest spending a little more and getting a dbx PA+ if you can swing it; again, nothing wrong with the 223 at all, the PA+ just adds a lot more flexibility.

I agree with Andy's comments that your tops will become the weak link with adding these subs; you may want to look at either SP2BX or SP3BX for tops to go with them. If you go all Peavey you may be able to work out a trade in deal with your existing tops and upgrade for not that much more money.

There are a lot of good sub options out there, think about what your budget and goals are before you do anything.

• Members

Rob_H wrote:

I agree with Andy's comments that your tops will become the weak link with adding these subs; you may want to look at either SP2BX or SP3BX for tops to go with them. If you go all Peavey you may be able to work out a trade in deal with your existing tops and upgrade for not that much more money.

Did AH delete a post to that effect? I agree with RR that the pair of Impulse 1012s powered with the GX7's meager 725W/ch. will easily outrun a pair of adequately powered SP118BX subs. Am I missing something?

Methinks the OP might never return...:smiley-bounce017:

• Members

you might also look a the Peavey QW118 or QW218.  I have both and they work fine for what I need.  I can move the 118's by myself but not the 218's.  they are heavy.  I use a CS4080hz to power them properly.

• Members

Im gonna throw a wrench into this thread

I am going to suggest you dump the Peavey tops.

Go with a pair of JBLPRX612M's for tops and put them up on sticks.

699.00 per x 2 /1400.00 for a pair

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-PRX612M-12--2-Way-Active-PA-Speaker-106079403-i1548997.gc

Start with a single powered sub until you can afford another.

Go with a single matching JBLPRX618

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-PRX618S-XLF-High-Performance-18--Subwoofer-System-H05529-i1664767.gc

The Peavey tops you have a really a BIG weak link.

With 2500.00 you can have a new system that will deliver quite nicely for you.

• Members

Check this one's out also, omnisistem got them over the US, I have 4 of these models and they sound pretty good, although it's not a known brand for the US people but for over here in southamerica it's a good brand, they are loud and I think they can be compared to any known brands that you guys have over there;

http://omnisistem.com/products/beta-3-b118a/

• Members

JV90 wrote:

Check this one's out also, omnisistem got them over the US, I have 4 of these models and they sound pretty good, although it's not a known brand for the US people but for over here in southamerica it's a good brand, they are loud and I think they can be compared to any known brands that you guys have over there;

At 200 lbs for a passive 218 sub, and one of unverified performance, I don't think it's all that great of a comparison IMO.

• Members
www.elderaudio.com are the ones who manufacture the EB118A powered sub that I got over my rig (4 of them) and I can tell you that I don't have any problem at all over my tops and subs, their brand is Beta3, I've seen those 2x18 Subs, but for me they're to big, yes the powered Subs and also the tops that I have they use non neodymium magnets over the speakers and they have their weight, but nothing that it can't be handle and you can live with it,

• Members

JV90 wrote:

Oh, I see, I've heard them over here, they sound good and powerful but is really too big

And why are they so heavy? General grades of plywood do not weight this much and I doubt they are using 18mm with hardwood core plys, so that leaves the most plausable (but not definate) explaination being that it's not all plywood or the type of plywood that we associate with being called plywood.

I understand that in other regions things may be described differently, and if the price is right it's ok if it's not exactly as the marketing might lead you to believe. IMO, this cabinet should weigh between 150 and 165 lbs. if it's as described.

Archived