do i have enough for large outdoor gig

• Members

hi guys,

i've been offered a large out door gig and not sure if i have enough equipment.

there will be about 1800 people in attendance. i have three LS800p sub and can get two more for a total of five. for top we have 4 sr4732 and 2 srx722( inputs on how the tops will work together we be appreciated).

so the question is, do you guys this would be enough rig for the gig?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

jahman wrote:

hi guys,

i've been offered a large out door gig and not sure if i have enough equipment.

there will be about 1800 people in attendance. i have three LS800p sub and can get two more for a total of five. for top we have 4 sr4732 and 2 srx722( inputs on how the tops will work together we be appreciated).

so the question is, do you guys this would be enough rig for the gig?

Heck, I'd do it with just the four sr4732's properly processed and biamp'd (preferably iTech power, three or four 5000's would do it). I'd really want 8 of those subs but if you can center cluster them and know how to steer them via delay or staggering - and know how to mix within a system's capabilities - you'd be OK. If there is going to be anyone mixing except yourself they might not be happy. Dunno what you can do with the 722's - they won't array super well with the others and they are big for front fills (which you'll need). Some depends on what the coverage area size is, genre, and SPL requirements as AH said.

• Members

Considering the rules of physics and the specs I just looked up for the gear, and even assuming perfect coupling of subs and tops (2 SR4732 over 2 LS800p per side) you can hit a max of about 136 db at one meter, assuming published specs are factually correct (yea sure.) That means you can hit what most people would consider a reasonable volume for a show up to about 100 feet (around 105 db at 100 ft with rounding and quick math.) The questions become this: is that sufficient level for you, and can you squeeze 1800 people into a 100 foot deep area in front of the stage.

I think you would be pushing the gear right to the top of its performance to come close to that calculation (based on published specs) and I think 1800 people in that area is a stretch.  I think you need bigger guns for the show.

I carry 4 QRX 212s over 4 LS1208s, powered at around 10K watts FOH and I consider my system a 1000 person system outdoors for a rocking show, and maybe 1250 people or so for lighter fare. I also never tell a client the system is good for more than 800 people so I don't have to plan on maxing it out unless I decide it is safe to do it after the show starts.

Unless you are willing to risk the system, I would pass on it, but thats just my experience.

• Members

Good trick here.

Put two of the Yorkville subs on each side, and put one Yorkville sub center stage.

This works well.

You have what you have.  

Keep it clean, and clip free ,and dont beat the piss out of your system.

Make sure you splay your tops for good coverage and minimum overlap.

• Members

Note that you are using 2 different metrics here,calculated peak Spl sensitivity numbers versus lmeasured time averaged spl numbers with deratings for power compression and other inefficiencies. I would expect a 10dB real world divergence between these numbers at rated power minimum.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

The "just right" level varies between music genres, audience demographics and the nature of the event in general. I did an awful lot of these kinds of events, and anywhere between 85-100dB in the middle of the crowd could be desired.

I would have loved to have had that for listening to Earth Wind and Fire at Red Rocks. I'm not sure it was that low at the back of the audience.

Archived