X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffled Speakers

Hello,

I use two Celestion 175 watt, 8 ohm SR3's, as main speakers for my jazz band, through a 180w mixer amp, which works perfectly. 

I recently purchased another two SR3's, to use as monitors, which I linked to the existing pair via the speakon in/out connectors.  To my surprise the sound through both sets of speakers was extremely muffled. When I disconnected the monitors, the sound was perfect. I also tried the monitors on their own and they were perfect.

The mixer is a Peavey 150w at 4ohm and 100w at 8ohm

Have you any idea what the problem might be?

Thank you for your help.

Regards
    Kevin Scott

Assuming you're not yanking our chain, that mixer can only drive two 8 ohm speakers.

Comment

• Bandmaster1
      Bandmaster1 commented
      Editing a comment

Not yanking.  What sort of mixer do I need?

If its rated at 4 ohms minimum, do NOT connect 3 speakers to it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

• RoadRanger
      RoadRanger commented
      Editing a comment

If it's the 5 channel peavey box mixer from 30 years ago, we used to run three eight ohm monitors off it - but gear was a lot more stout back then. If he just needs a couple monitors I'd suggest running those two in series but I suspect that's way above his technical ability . If he was nearby I'd loan him one of my series cables...

• Bandmaster1
      Bandmaster1 commented
      Editing a comment

Thank you.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks to everybody for thier help.

Comment

• monthlymixcd
      monthlymixcd commented
      Editing a comment

Where are you located, Bandmaster1? I see CL posts for my area all the time for box mixer/speakers combos. Usually less than $500.

Working...
X