No announcement yet.

Soundcraft GB2-32 & Tascam DR-40

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundcraft GB2-32 & Tascam DR-40

I'm recording a live gig using the 2 pieces of equip. above.  I'm also going to blend in an independent live house mix from 2 DR-05's mounted about 8 ft. high, about 20 yds. directly in front of the mains.  However, my main concern is making sure I'm setting up the best available option between the board and the DR-40.

A little setup on the situation, though.  The board is NOT mine, and I have to be very humble, rather than pushing my weight around.  IfYaKnowWhutIMean, Vern.  What I WANT to do is use the MTX1&2 XLR outs to the XLR's on the DR-40 simply cuz it should be cleaner.  Other than that, my alternative I guess would be going from the RCA Tape Outs to the mini EXT In on the DR-40.  I'm also going to use the Auto Leveler on the DR-40.  Are there any other setup suggestions from the gallery?

Thanks,

KC

First, do not use the leveler, the purpose is to strip the dynamic range from the recording by using essentially an AGC.

Second, you will need to correct for time offset between the direct and mic'd signals. There will be a ~50mSec delay on the mic'd signal relative to the direct signal. Combining these will sound bad.

How large is the venue? Is it indoors or outdoors?

Suggestion, just use the mic'd signal, that way you will better capture the stage sound as well as PA contribution, and also the audience dynamics, which often lends to a better feel of a live recording. Less potential for problems too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

• KingConga
      KingConga commented
      Editing a comment

Thanks Agedhorse (or should I just call you Mr. Ed? Sorry, I couldn't resist),

Then I'll use the limiter.  I just CAN'T afford to screw this mix up.  As far as the delay, is there any way I can use SMPTE to properly sync it up; or is there any document, or utilty on the web I can use to sync it up.

I'd rather use the 2 DR-05's mix myself, and frankly, provided I can sync everything up, I'm just going to go with my ear.  I've just got someone with the $$$ convinced that the ONLY way to go is through the board.  I don't even know if they're aware devices like these exist.  So, that's my situation.

Be very careful using limiting so that you don't end up with unuseable material.

Syncing will need to be determined by trial and error, by time rather than timecode offset. Ultimately, you could align by frames once you determined the time but it works much better on common content to shift by time rather than frames.

Your money guy needs to step back and look at the big picture rather than individual components.

I would use a seperate recorder for the live mics, that way if one recorder fails, you still have a viable backup.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Dr40 is 4 track. Use the internal mics with line ins record 24bit/48k keep the peak levels below 6db down. Use No DSP stuff limiter agc etc.in post u can boost & Alighn if nesseccary

Have fun

Comment

• agedhorse
        agedhorse commented
        Editing a comment

Alignment will be necessary with a 50msec error... unless your standards are so low that all you care about is making noise.

Working...
    X