Which PA speakers/mixer should I get for my wedding band

• Members

Dropping in from the keyboard forum...

For the past 15 years or so, I've been using an EV PA system (EV PSX1600 powered mixer and SX300 speakers) with my wedding band for small gigs. (We bring in an outside sound company for larger events.

It's been a fairly solid set-up with almost no issues until recently, but I've had a few minor issues with the speakers lately and am starting to look at replacement choices.

A lot of folks I know are using the QSC K Series in similar circumstances, but I've heard some things about known issues that affect the K series.

I'm also a bit concerned about the additional running of power cords switching to a powered speaker setup would require. Right now, the setup is very simple. I need one power drop near my keyboard setup, which I plug the keyboards and powered mixer in to. Switching to powered speakers would seem to require three  power drops, unless there is a way to work around this like a snake with seperately shielded  power and speaker cables (if this is possible w/o causing interference).

Finally, switching to powered speakers would require a new mixer as well. I'd like to have 10-12 channels with good onboard digital effects, and accessible EQ on each channel (so no Presonus Studiolive. I need to be able to grab a knob and adjust it while playing live w/o needing to press bank buttons first.).

I'm looking for recommendations of speakers and mixers I could check out that would be comparable to the system I currently have and/or the QSC's.

In particular, IIRC, I've read some nice things about some of the EV, Yamaha, and RCF models, but since I wasn't looking at the time, I didn't note the model numbers. I'm sure there are other options I haven't heard about.

Can you suggest what speakers might be comparable to (or better then) the QSC's, and what mixer might be a good option to pair them with? 

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for responding.

Budget: about $2000 - $2500 ideally. I'm willing to strectch on the budget, for a worthwile upgrade.

We play a mix of rock, pop, reggae, and world music.

Instrumentation varies slightly, but usually includes keyboards, drums, bass, guitars, clarinet and sax, violin, sometimes a small horn section, and vocals. The keyboards, guitars, and bass all go through their own amps, although we often run the keys through the system as well, and we occasionally mic the guitar amp.

Thanks!

• Members

Whatever you choose for powered cabs get matching subs/tops so you can use the processing built in

the self powered system sub/tops. 

Dont go with RCF tops and JBL subs, or QSC tops and RCF subs.   

Go with a 12 inch two way powered tops on sticks with two 18" powered subs. 

Soundcraft makes analog mixers with effects.  Yamaha makes analog mixers with effects.

This will work fine for a wedding act.

We are not talking big decibal output here.

• Members

Ok radicle departure idea here

first a question...what are your monitors?

now is your current mixer unreliable speakers need recone? If not keep it all!! Add a lite weight 2-3KW amp.&the 2I ev elx 18 passiive. You wont believe what those sx300s come to life with some headroom watts driving via 1the amp ch., run the subs off the other. With

• Members

Kevin T wrote:

Ok radicle departure idea here

first a question...what are your monitors?

now is your current mixer unreliable speakers need recone? If not keep it all!! Add a lite weight 2-3KW amp.&the 2I ev elx 18 passiive. You wont believe what those sx300s come to life with some headroom watts driving via 1the amp ch., run the subs off the other. With

Thought about making a similar recommendation (as I've said I really like the SX300s), but he said that they've given him problems lately.

• Members

The guitarist has powered Mackies we've been using as monitors.

I'd like to minimize setup as much as possible, so the less pieces we need to bring in and connect, the better. I do hope to add subs (and better monitors) at some point, but in the meantime, I'm looking for a simpler solution than bringing a powered mixer AND a separate amp. I suppose I could switch to an unpowered mixer, a separate amp and stick with the SX300's (which are starting to show their age, I think), but it seems like I'd see more improvement by going the MixWizard/RCF route. The impression I have is that I'll get a little more "oomph" that way.

It's a shame that the local stores near me don't seem to stock the RCF's. They have the QSC's, JBL's, Bose, and EV stuff on the floor. (Also Peavey, Behringer etc.) Not the Yamaha or RCF. So, it's not easy to A/B these live.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I also find the extra wires of powered speakers to be a pain. Passive speakers with the amps and mixer in the same stack are a lot quicker to setup. That said, I like my ZXA1 setup with matching subs. $2400 will purchase it brand new. Small clear and the subs work well with kick drums. (Tight deep and warm sounding.) I can see them for small to medium sized weddings. (You already said you hire in for the big stuff.) If there is an issue, it's that they are nearly invisible because they're so small. (You can fit all of them in a mid-sized car trunk. 2 subs and 2 satellites weighing less than 150 pounds total with nothing over 50 pounds.)

• Members

If it were me I'd get those EV SX300s repaired and use what money you save to look in the used market for Mixwiz or Soundcraft with onboard FX and amp such as QSC PLX that has onboard HPF switch for high side for tops and low side for sub duty and enough of power to drive those EV's on 1 channel and passive sub or 2 on the other side. IMO you get more bang for your buck going that route. Just my 2 stones worth if wanna keep it as passive system.

• Members

Thanks for reviving the thread. I do appreciate that you tried to help me. I've actually picked up a pair of RCF 710A's and a Dynacord CMS mixer last fall, which I've been very happy with for very small gigs. I'm planning to add a matching sub or two, as the opportunity presents itself, for medium sized gigs.

• Members

I used a Dynacord mixer (powered) for the first time last December. They seem to be well laid out, easy to use, solid mixers. Oddly enough I was using it with two EV SX300's - sounded very nice.

Glad you settled on something you are happy with.

• Members

Just a little humor but the way the thread was worded.............., I'd say "Gold" (no less tan 18k :-).

A bunch of folks taking pictures of them selves shows a good selfysteam.

A bunch of folks taking pictures of each other shows a bad selfysteam.

Just a failing brain starved for oxygen :-).

Cheers

• Members
Likewise' date=' glad to hear that you've found a solution that works well for you... and it's proof-positive that RCFs are a pretty good bet when buying sight-unseen/sound-unheard. Congrats...[/quote']

Most of the time. Last night I replaced my 4th, yes FOURTH, amp in my pair of 522A's. They sound great, when they work. Not RCF's best day. No wonder they were only around for a couple of years before being replaced by the 700 series and completely different amps.

• Members

Most of the time. Last night I replaced my 4th, yes FOURTH, amp in my pair of 522A's. They sound great, when they work. Not RCF's best day. No wonder they were only around for a couple of years before being replaced by the 700 series and completely different amps.

Fourth amp - ouch! Is it a heat problem, a quality control problem or? Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, but glad you shared.

• Members

Fourth amp - ouch! Is it a heat problem, a quality control problem or? Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations, but glad you shared.

Design flaw of original amp mixed with corruption in the form of an employee shipping known bad parts out. RCF's initial entry into the US market wasn't without it's problems. They seem to be ironed out now, but they were a mess back in 2008-09. The amps I have in both speakers now are marked as "Rev B". It was such a mess I actually ended up with a spare so at least I had that to slap into the box. I would NEVER buy a used 500 series RCF box though, NEVER!

• Members

I used a Dynacord mixer (powered) for the first time last December. They seem to be well laid out, easy to use, solid mixers. Oddly enough I was using it with two EV SX300's - sounded very nice.

That's the exact setup I had before this. The EV PSX-16000 powered mixer was manufactured by Dynacord for EV. They also sold it under the Dynacord brand. They were identical except for the manufacturer logos.

These things are built like tanks, so, for me, it was a no brainer to get the Dynacord. In 20 years or so, I never had an issue with the mixer, something I can't say about any other audio gear.

Archived