Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New JBL PRX700 powered series - didn't realize already a thread about this

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New JBL PRX700 powered series - didn't realize already a thread about this

    EDIT - I was away all last week. Didn't see Roadranger had a post on it already. I googled before I posted and didn't see anything anywhere else. Well, at least you can get the MAP pricing.

    I don't see it on the JBL site, but RMC Audio Direct just sent me an email and has the full line up listed HERE.

    The claim is better cooling and "same light weight"... Well the weight is up substantially from the 600 series so I'm not sure where that statement comes from. For instance, at 42 lbs, the 12" cabinet is up 8 lbs (over 20%) from the 600 series and is 2 lbs heavier the 500 series. This makes sense as they use ferrite magnets. The 18" XLF subwoofer though, is practically the same weight at 81.5 lbs, up just a half lb.

    Of note there is a 10" full range option as well as "XLF" 15" and 18" subwoofers and no "S" version sub. All good moves, IMO.

     

    www.nextexitrocks.com

  • #2

    abzurd wrote:

    EDIT - I was away all last week. Didn't see Roadranger had a post on it already. I googled before I posted and didn't see anything anywhere else. Well, at least you can get the MAP pricing.

    I don't see it on the JBL site, but RMC Audio Direct just sent me an email and has the full line up listed HERE.

    The claim is better cooling and "same light weight"... Well the weight is up substantially from the 600 series so I'm not sure where that statement comes from. For instance, at 42 lbs, the 12" cabinet is up 8 lbs (over 20%) from the 600 series and is 2 lbs heavier the 500 series. This makes sense as they use ferrite magnets. The 18" XLF subwoofer though, is practically the same weight at 81.5 lbs, up just a half lb.

    Of note there is a 10" full range option as well as "XLF" 15" and 18" subwoofers and no "S" version sub. All good moves, IMO.

     


    Hey Abzurd,

    I think they retained the neo driver in the 718XLF.  That is the only way I can see that they could keep the weight the same.

    I think they also replaced the amp module across the board.  I don't know about "better cooling', but I think that by going from 1000W on the 618XLF to 1500W on the 718XLF, They likely don't have the amp working as hard as before.  The SPL seems to be the same.  I suspect it sounds the same as well.

    The rest of the line looks like it lost the neo driver.  Hopefully in another few years neo prices will come back down.

    You looking to buy more speakers?  I figured your wife would have put the muzzle on you after your last speaker purchase ..... at least for a little while

    With Greater Knowledge Comes Greater Understanding

    Comment


    • Miko Man
      Miko Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I know that the watt numbers changed on the amp modules, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the amp modules are any more powerful. I could be wrong, of course, but the marketing numbers game seems to be in full swing. I'm not sure that JBL ever clearly described the basis for the old 500 watt number in the PRX 600 series; certainly the info about the "new version" in the PRX 700 series hasn't reached the masses. I hope that somebody on the forum has real info and will correct me if my suppositions are erroneous. Mark C.

    • mrcpro
      mrcpro commented
      Editing a comment

      The claim of "better cooling" is a pretty much a slam dunk because JBL put fans on the amp panels this time. Check the photos of the back.

      According to the product descriptions, all of the woofers are using ferrite magnets in a differential drive configuration - including the 18 in the PRX718XLF. To my knowledge, that would mean that these drivers should be new. My worst fears were that these speakers would just be powered versions of the PRX400 series where the models lined up, but that's thankfully not the case. But they are definitely not powered versions of the SRX700 series either, which some have speculated.

      All in all, the lineup looks encouraging - a bit heavier than their predecessors but perhaps with greater reliability due to the amps being cooled with fans.


    • abzurd
      abzurd commented
      Editing a comment

      OneEng wrote:

      abzurd wrote:

      EDIT - I was away all last week. Didn't see Roadranger had a post on it already. I googled before I posted and didn't see anything anywhere else. Well, at least you can get the MAP pricing.

      I don't see it on the JBL site, but RMC Audio Direct just sent me an email and has the full line up listed HERE.

      The claim is better cooling and "same light weight"... Well the weight is up substantially from the 600 series so I'm not sure where that statement comes from. For instance, at 42 lbs, the 12" cabinet is up 8 lbs (over 20%) from the 600 series and is 2 lbs heavier the 500 series. This makes sense as they use ferrite magnets. The 18" XLF subwoofer though, is practically the same weight at 81.5 lbs, up just a half lb.

      Of note there is a 10" full range option as well as "XLF" 15" and 18" subwoofers and no "S" version sub. All good moves, IMO.

       


      Hey Abzurd,

       

      You looking to buy more speakers?  I figured your wife would have put the muzzle on you after your last speaker purchase ..... at least for a little while


      Nah, I just like window shopping. It's quite possible I'm done buying speakers. I already have more than I need. I'm selling my Yorkville ES/LS700P subs actually.

      As for the weight of the XLF sub being similar, I'm guessing it's closer because they use 2 amps and the amps are probably lighter. It's possibible too I guess that the wood is thinner or even a different type than before. The PRX400 and STX800 both use a combination of poplar and birch. The PRX600 is a bit of a mystery. From what I can see all the JBL marketing says is "plywood".


  • #3
    Two different driver geometries. Both are good, it depends what you really need.

    Peak is 2x the rms value of the power, this would imply 750 watts "rms" but we don't know if it's based on continuous or burst time slices.

    Comment


    • #4

      Guys, a little thread hijacking (sorry....), but on the subject of the PRX series.

      Is it a good idea to mix the PRX 512 and PRX 718 with a PRX 612 still using the internal crossover in the sub?   I'm getting involved in a duo thing and won't be using the sub, but eventually I will get back into the full band thing a use the single sub when applicable.  I can't find any PRX 512, but the PRX 612 still seem to be available.  I could pick up one for now as a monitor for the duo and one down the road.  

      I'm not a sound guy, just a hack guitarist trying to put together an easy to use PA that sounds good.  So far, I'm on the right track with the 512s.   I'd be pretty much complete for my needs if I picked up a pair of 612s IF you can use the 612s with the 512s and the 718. 

      I was going to get a pair of B212Ds and be done with it, but I think I'd be better of with a single PRX 612 for now and then adding another down the line.   With two monitors I'd have one for the primary vocalist and one for me... everyone else is on there own in providing a monitor.

      Am I on the right track?

       

       

       

      http://www.reverbnation.com/thedubiouscapture<br>

      Comment


      • guido61
        guido61 commented
        Editing a comment

        N


        Yer Blues wrote:

        Guys, a little thread hijacking (sorry....), but on the subject of the PRX series.

        Is it a good idea to mix the PRX 512 and PRX 718 with a PRX 612 still using the internal crossover in the sub?   I'm getting involved in a duo thing and won't be using the sub, but eventually I will get back into the full band thing a use the single sub when applicable.  I can't find any PRX 512, but the PRX 612 still seem to be available.  I could pick up one for now as a monitor for the duo and one down the road.  

        I'm not a sound guy, just a hack guitarist trying to put together an easy to use PA that sounds good.  So far, I'm on the right track with the 512s.   I'd be pretty much complete for my needs if I picked up a pair of 612s IF you can use the 612s with the 512s and the 718. 

        I was going to get a pair of B212Ds and be done with it, but I think I'd be better of with a single PRX 612 for now and then adding another down the line.   With two monitors I'd have one for the primary vocalist and one for me... everyone else is on there own in providing a monitor.

        Am I on the right track?

         

         

         


        Not sure what you mean by mixing 512s and 612s.   One of each on each side?  A 512 on the left side and a 612 on the right?

        But I replaced my 518S subs with 618XLFs and they work just fine with the 512s on top and the system sounds great.


    • #5
      Those of us who design neo speakers and drivers know that it's entirely possible to duplicate the sound of either ceramic ferrite or alnico using neo, but guitarists are a hard group to market to. Many have a difficult time understanding anything involving technology if it takes more than single syllable words to describe.

      Comment


      • monthlymixcd
        monthlymixcd commented
        Editing a comment

        (Guilty as charged.)

        Honestly, user/player preference probably has a LOT more to do with manufacturer choice of cone and VC design & material than with anything related to the magnets. Based on my experience playing guitar and bass for decades... I'd not hesitate to used bass amps/cabs loaded with Neo speakers, and would actually prefer it... mostly from a weight perspective, but also from the mostly tight response of the Neo bass drivers I've played through...


      • RoadRanger
        RoadRanger commented
        Editing a comment

        agedhorse wrote:
        [...] guitarists are a hard group to market to. Many have a difficult time understanding anything involving technology if it takes more than single syllable words to describe.

        Havin' one of "those days"  ?


    • #6

      abzurd wrote:

      EDIT - I was away all last week. Didn't see Roadranger had a post on it already. I googled before I posted and didn't see anything anywhere else. Well, at least you can get the MAP pricing.

      I don't see it on the JBL site, but RMC Audio Direct just sent me an email and has the full line up listed HERE.

      The claim is better cooling and "same light weight"... Well the weight is up substantially from the 600 series so I'm not sure where that statement comes from. For instance, at 42 lbs, the 12" cabinet is up 8 lbs (over 20%) from the 600 series and is 2 lbs heavier the 500 series. This makes sense as they use ferrite magnets. The 18" XLF subwoofer though, is practically the same weight at 81.5 lbs, up just a half lb.

      Of note there is a 10" full range option as well as "XLF" 15" and 18" subwoofers and no "S" version sub. All good moves, IMO.

       


      (added quote for clarification that was not possible from the mobile device interface)


      Agreed

      Comment


      • ChiroVette
        ChiroVette commented
        Editing a comment
        sibyrnes wrote:

        I'm curious how you know what the new 712 sounds like?

        And I'm kind of amused by the way you "feel" that info that challanges your pre-concieved notions is "mistaken".

         

        Sorry, but I'm just a little sick of the opinions,conjectures and advice given here by people with no actual, real world experience with the equipment.  If you want examples of that, just read any of the many digital mixer threads here and on other forums!

        You're an idiot, always have been at least since I have been here, even if you give decent information every once in a while.

         My conjecture was also a pretty good one given the fact that JBL is moving away from the less expensive and lighter NeoDym magnets, and presumably charging more money for the same gear that simply weighs more. This is NOT an out of line assumption. For the record, almost everyone in this thread is making the same assumption, so why are you getting on my **** about it?

        lol, oh yeah, that's right, because you're a moron. Almost forgot. :smiley-eatdrink004:


        agedhorse wrote:
        Agreed

        Really?

        Yet you were one of the people I was responding to and AGREEING with here:

         

        RoadRanger wrote:
        Gaffle wrote:

        Here go the specs:  http://blog.channelliveproductions.com/2013/07/28/new-jbl-prx700-series.aspx

        Dunno about yous guys but when an article claims that ferrite is better than neo I smell bull*bleep* .

        agedhorse wrote:

        It's better for profit if you don't lower the selling price...


         


    • #7
      IMO, the prices are not accurate for the 2241 and 2206. My experience is that the neo drivers are always considerably more expensive. Between 20% and 100% depending on the type of driver.

      Comment


      • sibyrnes
        sibyrnes commented
        Editing a comment

        agedhorse wrote:
        IMO, the prices are not accurate for the 2241 and 2206. My experience is that the neo drivers are always considerably more expensive. Between 20% and 100% depending on the type of driver.

        What do you mean "not accurate"?  I didn't make them up and they are easily confirmed.  Have you looked them up recently?  I have seen better prices for a new 2241 on Ebay, but it is still more than the 2268.  And you know, that's something that has been bugging me for awhile and I have not heard anyone address it - if neo is so expensive and hard to get, why can I buy current model JBL neo speakers cheaper than their ferrite counterpart????

    Working...
    X