Peavey Hi-Sys 2

• Members

Hi All

I have Peavey Hi-Sys 2 15" Bins 12" Tops, they are connected together from bin to top and lead from bin to amp(PV-1.3K 1000w x 2). The speakers are BW 4 ohm in bins and tops but when I measure impedance at jack on end of speaker lead(to amp) I measure 8 ohms. Is this correct and am I losing power by running at 8 ohms rather than 4. I assume there is a crossover in the bin paralleling speakers ?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

• Members

Dood honestly you need to have someone with technical experience to look this system over for you.

Truely measuring impedance is beyond your skillz, and you must be reading DC resistance.

This reply might seem brutal but it is based on fact.

Your post shows you do not have the technical ability to get the answers you want.

• Members

Well with a multimeter set on ohms and reading across the + and - I get 8 ohms on lead to amp and across speakers when disconnected I get 4 ohms.

The reason I am posting on the forum is because I obviously do not have the "skillz" if I did I would hardly be asking for advice.

I thought if somebody with experience of this system was on the forum they might be able to help me out.

Excuse me for not having a Phd in electronics before posting!

• Members

I have to assume that the sub has a passive crossover in it that sends speaker level out to the mid-high box. The idea is full range signal is sent to each sub then jumpered up to the tops. If the subs are indeed 4 ohm then that's a little better drawing more power out of the amp, and subs generally need 2-4x the power (all things being equal).

If the system is indeed setup like this then I wouldn't overthink the setup. However the whole system could benefit from an active crossover placed before the amplifier. Ch1 subs, ch2 tops and rig is in mono. Running stereo would require another amp (smaller size is ok since mid/highs require less power). Mono is great too, easier to setup etc, troubleshoot. Considering how cheap crossovers can be bought for I'd give it a try.

• Members

Thanks Unalaska

Yes subs are def 4 ohm. I think I might go for the crossover and second amp option although I have heard sound engineers singing the praises of a mono set up for smaller venues.

I assume using the peavey 1.3k on the subs and a new amp for the tops is the way to go. Will I notice a significant difference in volume with the active crossover option over my current set up.

• Members

I'm not clear... Do you have the ability to change the impedance of the speakers?

What you are measuring using a multimeter is dc resistance and not impedance. Typically speakers with nominal 8 ohm impedance measure about 6 ohms dc resistance and 4 ohm impedance speakers measure around 3 ohms dc resistance. So your numbers look suspicious.

Running an old PV1.3k into 8 ohm speakers is just about right for that system. That should give you about 400w and those old BWs were rated 350w.

Now if you biamp you will get a little more level, but mainly you'll get more punch and dynamics, less distortion and better reliability ( providing you set the system up correctly). You can still be mono and bi-amped.

• Members

Can you bypass the internal crossover between the subs and tops on that system? I don't think an active crossover and additional work/amp/cabling is worth the benefit.

To the OP, I think you are in over year head. You haven't accepted the factually correct answers give to you by the two guys here who know the system better than any... and one of them worked for Peavey managing their pro audio division, yet you are arguing with us about something that is incorrect.

• Members

Thanks for that dboomer. The markings on the cabinets and on the speakers themselves read 4 ohm and you are right the speakers are rated 350 w.

The system is old but it seems to have been well minded, I have also located user manuals on amp etc online which helps.

@agedhorse :

I am not arguing with anybody and have thanked both contributors for their input. Yes you are right I am in over my head! but thanks to the above replies I am now getting a better understanding of this gear.

Thanks again.

• Members

Ah doode u gotta get wit d program man and get down wit d specs nd info necessarie t make d hippin hoppin bippin boppin soundz - u need t get down wit d doctors of sound t sort ur technikal issuez out my comrade....e mail me dude if u need any more info !!!

Peaze bruver, dr soundz phd peavey systems

• Members

Wow

Jimgogarty wrote:

Ah doode u gotta get wit d program man and get down wit d specs nd info necessarie t make d hippin hoppin bippin boppin soundz - u need t get down wit d doctors of sound t sort ur technikal issuez out my comrade....e mail me dude if u need any more info !!!

facepalm.gif

• Members

First measure each box alone. Make sure each one alone measures around 3.6 ohms DCR. This will tell you if someone swapped speakers on you if you bought the speakers used.

I had 2 of the Peavey 1.3k amps for some time. They are 400 watts at 8 ohms, 650 watts at 4 and 1000 at 2 ohms.

When you go from the amp to the bass bins, then out to the top the total should still read "around" 3.6 ohms or os dcr with the speaker cable NOT plugged into the amp. Because of the passive crossover the Lions share of the wattage will go to the bass bins and the rest to the tops. If I were to guess I'd say around 400 to the sub with the other 250 to the tops or there abouts.

If its easy for you to do so unhook the Bin subwoofer speaker inside the box to check the crossover. Make sure the wires are not touching each other. Play music in the one stack. You should hear the tops playing but with the deep bass removed. Next reconnect the woofer and don't plug in the top. You should hear lows coming from the bin but not alot of the highest frequencies.

Its a pretty simple setup. How does it sound to you now?

Dookietwo

• Members

Jimgogarty wrote:

For a first post, that makes quite an impression.

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

First measure each box alone. Make sure each one alone measures around 3.6 ohms DCR. This will tell you if someone swapped speakers on you if you bought the speakers used.

I had 2 of the Peavey 1.3k amps for some time. They are 400 watts at 8 ohms, 650 watts at 4 and 1000 at 2 ohms.

When you go from the amp to the bass bins, then out to the top the total should still read "around" 3.6 ohms or os dcr with the speaker cable NOT plugged into the amp. Because of the passive crossover the Lions share of the wattage will go to the bass bins and the rest to the tops. If I were to guess I'd say around 400 to the sub with the other 250 to the tops or there abouts.

Dookietwo

I do not recall exactly, but I believe the DCR will drop to almsot 1/2 of each box when the sub and top are combined because the LPF looks like a short circuit at DC and I do not recall there being an effective HPF to the top boxes. Maybe Don can confirm, it's been a while since I have seen one (not common here).

Archived