Allen & Heath Zed10fx reverb effects good enough or should i get something else?

• Members

Hi,

I'm just doing this for our videoke sessions so I want to know if the effects of TC-Helicon (specifically the reverb) is better than the Allen & Heath Zed10 effects?

I'm really a noob in this and all I want is to make our karaoke session sound better. I have a lot of friends who love to sing and they come over to our house to do just that. No instruments though (no guitar/keyboard/etc). Just a karaoke unit and singing.

The thing is, I don't find the sound as good as the ones i hear in music lounges and studios. Our sound is reasonably good already but I want it better (specially the echo in the mic or reverb i think).

Is the Zed effects good already and I just don't know how to use it or is the TC-Helicon or another effects machine the thing that my system is missing to sound like those of studios and music lounges?

For reference, this is what I have for now on my videoke/karaoke system:

For the music part, I use:

Onkyo 609 Amplifier

Mission Floorstander speakers with center and surround (using 5 channel stereo mode)

SVS SB12 Sealed Subs

BMB One Platinum Videoke Player

For the vocal part, I use:

Allen & Heath ZED-10 Mixer (Has effects but it doesn't sound that good)

2x Shure SM58 Mics direct to ZED-10

1x Shure SM7b Mic to a Focusrite ISA One to ZED-10

then the ZED-10 outputs it to 1x QSC K10 Powered Active Loudspeaker (so that my Mission speakers won't get busted) (I can't use a pair since there's no more space)

Music comes out from the Missions speakers

Voice comes out from the QSC K10 (so as not to destroy my Mission speakers)

Area is a normal living room and not a studio room. No sound treatment whatsoever. (cannot put treatments since its a living room)

• Members

The helicon stuff is good. I use a voice create xt. It's got nice effects built in and you can blend verb, and delay. Also has other cool effects that I think are better than most built in mixers. Probably not as good as a pro rack but it will be better than just reverb.

• Members

I can't comment on the zed's effects. Just my experience with helicon.

Check out you tube for videos on the zed and using effects. Or check the PDF online for it. I know it's a great board!

As far as feedback. I'd just be guessing, but if you are doing karaoke in a living room, or small setting, that's probably the biggest issue.

• Members

yeah the living room is not such a big space and sometimes when the mic moves to a new location, feedback occurs. The DBX seems to be a nice feedback suppressing unit. How do I connect this to my system?

• Members

I really can't do that. The location of the speakers can't be moved as there is really no more space for it. I just need to either move the person who is currently singing in a location with no feedback or get a feedback suppressor.

• Members

Speaker stand. You'll get better sound dispersion and you won't have to turn the vol so high.

The goal here is to have volume on your mixer and speaker at around half way. At least not cranking one or the other to max. If you find you have to max out either one, you're doing something wrong.

Archived