Overhead mics for drumkit for live events

• Members

Hi,

Just looking for suggestions on overheads in the $130-150 price range. I have used ATPro37's primarily and they work well, just looking for some other options to consider.

I have also used an MXL 2003 LDC and it wasn't bad. So I am curious if there are any other LDC's to consider in the price range. The AKG Perception 220 perhaps?

Some others considering...

Audix Fusion F9

AKG Perception 170

Heil PR-22UT

Shure PG81

Open to any other suggestions.

Jared

• Members

I prefer SDC's since the size is smaller (less weight on the stand and in the mic box). Peavey 480's are my current fav, samson C02's. The MXL602s work fine, eh, they do ok.

For LCD I like the AT3035, even the 2035 is good too. I stay away from Marshall, MXL, cheap CAD, Nady etc, just a preference. Plenty of good mics out there.

• Members

I have used both the MXL 603's and the AT3035 as suggested. IMO the AT's sounded nicer but I don't think that comes as a surprise. They can be found easily under $100 each. I also have a pair of the Michael Joly modified 603's.................absolute killer mics.

Not really sure though that (within your budget) you're going to improve on the Pro37's.

• Members

Wow in that price range there are a lot of decent mics. I like the PVM 480s as well (unfortunatly I sold the pair I had). They can be found used for cheap. I'm a big fan of Oktava 012s. Of course an industtry standard is the SM81 (IMO the Oktava's sound a bit better and, as stated, I've never had any problems either, but you can't beat the build quality of th SM81). Stay away from the Shure PG & BG lines (they sound like kaka (but would continue to do so for years to come :-)).

I currently have a Rode NT-4 for sale on Ebay (basicly a fixed pair of NT-5's with a battery option). I have used it both live & on recordings and it worked well (a chad bright but not edgy bright like many cheap mics). I liked it a lot but I have more mics than time to use them :-(.

I'm a micaholic so I could go on & on but I'll save you from it.

My .02 worth

• Members

I think the point where you "worry" about your mic choice is when the mic becomes the weak link in the chain. No point in using 184's if you're also using Behringer boxes. Given that , I still try to use very good mics on every instrument that needs a mic. Maybe if it was a crap event I might consider more of a utility approach.

• Members

Mike, if you already have the Oktavas, I'd use them. (unless you're dealing with stage monkeys) my basic approach is AKG 391's for general duty, stock MXL 603's for questionable events and Michael Joly modded 603's for the really good stuff. I have not found a reason to change that approach yet.

A while back, Axisplayet went to Earthworks for OH and couldn't stop talking about it. Of course his experience has a little to do with it also.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

A while back, Axisplayet went to Earthworks for OH and couldn't stop talking about it. 

While I swear by the Earthworks SR40 mics for OH, My situation was unique for many club bands. I had been using 11 channels for drums when I used OHs, and 9 otherwise. Channel count and the number of open mics were one factor. Second, I only had one 15 watt amp on stage for the band I worked for, and every thing else was direct to PA. No monitors for stage wash since everyone was on IEMs. The SR40s were almost $1000 each street price, but it dropped my channel count to 3 for drums (2xOH, 1 PR40 for kick.) They pick up every drum in the set, so truly good mics were worth it.

While I love them, I think that club bands would consider that as drastic overkill in most situations. I had been using SM81s for OH and before that, the Fusion F15s that were mentioned here, and also some Sampson CO series mics along the way. Until I jumped to the Earthworks, the OHs were my least concern because you don't hear or need much OH in a club. Almost any of the mics mentioned in this thread would get you by. At a regional level, name brands become more important, but SM81s will get you a long way (I bought 3 of them used for $250.)  Many bands won't even know Earthworks. The ones that do have no issue when I tell them I use a 3 mic setup for the kit (4 if the kit is huge.) The first time I told a "coming" national on tour that I was going to use 3 mics for drums, he said "that isn't happening unless you pull out some Neumann or Earthworks" ...so I did. He smiled, and we did the show with 3. Yes, they are that good.

Since you have the Audix Fusion mics, use them until they become the weak link in the system. That may never happen. When you jump, either jump a little to the 81's, or jump a lot, because anything in between is likely to seem like wasted money.

Archived