JBL prx series wont run on a small generator.....

• Members

I already know the answer to this, but I thought I would just post my experience.  I was planning to use a pair of JBL prx speakers to do a small outdoor solo acoustic show and have it powered off of a small 5000 watt portable generator.  They would power up, show signal coming in, but .... no sound coming out.  I tried a couple of different generators and they all had the same result.  Eventually after about 1/2 hour, they started putting out sound. They ran fine the rest of the night.

When I got home, I plugged them in to regular power and they worked just fine.   A week later, the band had another outdoor gig and there were 2  5000 watt generators supplying the power.  My main PA is powered by QSC GX5 amps, and the prx's are used as monitors.  Needless to say, everything powered up just fine........ except the prx's.  Same thing, power light on, signal light on, but no sound.  I get home and plug them in..... they work just fine.  As a side note, the prx's have run just fine when they were powered by the BIG trailored generator, but I know they have a much better regulator.

So, I did some searching online and find a few people have had the same issue. I also found a small quote in the manual stating the these speaker have to have almost "perfect power" to run.  Small portable generators are just not stable enough to do it.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this, and possibly see if anyone else has experienced this.  I now know not to count on the prx's if I have to do a remote gig somewhere, and just plan on bringing the QSC amps to power my mrx series of speakers.

• Members

I have run my prx618s xlf speakers on a small generator with wildly fluctuating voltage. They produced sound just fine ( as did my DSR112's). I don't think it is a great idea, and lower voltage will yield higher current and therefore more heat.

It could be that the speakers have a safety feature that looks at frequency.

• Members

Yeah, the prx612.  Keep in mind that I used them a few times in the past and all worked ok. I talked to a couple of different repair shops, and they said they see this issue all the time. Especially with the digital amps.  In doing a search on the internet, I see a few other people describing the same thing.  It may also depend on the quality of the generator.  All I know is that I am glad I had a back up option !

Archived